Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Originally Posted by Fox
My critic was my mother. I saw some pieced quilts hanging on a clothes line on a drive when I was a child, that I thought were beautiful. My mother's reaction to them was a demeaning "those poor people, they have to live that way". She was born at the turn of the century to a very poor family, and hated anything that reminded her of Depressions, Wars, rationing etc.. I taught myself to quilt when I was in my forties, and had a quilt I'd designed hanging in my bedroom. On a visit she looked at it without saying a word, then turned in disgust saying I'd "cut off the points" on the border. Enough said. She never mentioned it again, and it took me ten years to get back to quilting. Of course she's dead now...but I can imagine her shaking her head in wonder how I could waste my time doing something so beneath her standards. I like it.

And I LOVE the COZINESS of it!!
Fox, I just want to applaud and commend you for listening to your own heart.
Think of all that you would have missed.
The bottom line is, as much as we love our parents and other family, if we live the way they think "we should"...who gets to be us?:-D
My mother taught me to quilt about 2 years ago. I have since made 21 quilts and not once has she critisized any of them. I'm sorry your mother felt that way. Keep on listening to your heart.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

I remember growing up in Indiana, yes where it's cold and snowy, thinking that only poor people had quilts. Probably weren't many famlies poorer than us, but we had blankets.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM

I don't strive for perfect, I just try to do the best that I can. My best could be different things at different times. Sometimes I just can't be bothered to fuss with things, others I am in the mood to make sure that all my seams match and my points meet. One quilt could have examples of totally perfect star points but in another area the centers don't meet.

Maybe someday all the best that I can do will come together into one quilt... but I doubt it. Until then I'll just do what I like to do and what makes me happy.