Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whats the best way to add blended or solid quilting fabric? >

Whats the best way to add blended or solid quilting fabric?

Whats the best way to add blended or solid quilting fabric?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Whats the best way to add blended or solid quilting fabric?

Hello, Quilting Board

I have been wanting to add blended or solid fabrics to my quilting stash but having a hard time deciding what is the best way to do it. I like using ebay because I can buy the fat quarter bundle fabric but I know when I'm out I can get it from walmart or hobby lobby. I want to know how I can save money and what you would do? and what is a better deal? If these prices are too high?

here are some of fabric links of fabric that i'm think of getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151562460787...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131409653984...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moda-Marble-...item20f6e52f39
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Quarter-...item54154b9382
Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

Not sure I can provide good advice, but I checked out your links.

The first and third are not something I would purchase primarily because I do not like to have the same pattern in all of the different colors; always looks too matchy-matchy to me. The second one is a cotton/poly blend fabric, which I don't normally use because it handles and wears differently than cotton fabrics. The last one is the only one I would even consider, but I don't recognize the manufacturer (Santee) so am unsure about quality.

Do you actually use a lot of these types of fabrics in your quilts? I have found over the years that I have acquired way too much in the way of "stash" fabrics that I may never use because my tastes have changed so much. Nowadays I buy solids only if I have a specific need for them in my next quilt. Pretty much the only fat quarters I will buy now to add to stash are light-colored batiks (because they are so hard to find enough for variety, and because I am planning a batik log cabin in the near future).
Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 PM

I probably won't be much help because I buy yardage, not FQ cuts. I stock up on RK Kona or Moda Bella solids when I see them on sale or have coupons for 50% off, and I buy several different colors because I use lots of solids. Otherwise, I have learned not to just buy random fabrics to build stash as it seems I don't use them. But I would not consider $2 or more per FQ (including shipping) a huge bargain. Instead my stash has been built just from leftovers from fabrics purchased for specific projects. When these get too large, I hunt for a scrappy pattern or two and try to make a few charity quilts. But, I have bought fabrics on eBay and didn't have any problems---it just seems that I can find better deals from local or online fabric stores (like fabric.com or thousandsofbolts.com).
Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Prism99. I do have a large stash, but only buy blenders or solids as I need them for a specific project.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I am also doing what PaperPrincess mention. I also have a large stash that has accumulated over the decades and I buy mostly blenders and solids as needed to fill in any gaps.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 AM

I wanted to add 'blenders' to my stash and some fabric retailer, sorry can't remember who, had a good sale on these
http://www.stonehengefabrics.com/

I bought a yard of each. The only problem?
I prewashed them, neatly folded them, and put them in their own spot in my fabric cupboard. Sounds ideal, right?
Yep, they were. But it seems they were too 'ideal' to cut! I didn't use any, they looked so pretty all stacked.
So, I thought, I'll put them on the shelves according to color, mixed in with the other fabric I have.
It helped, I have used some
Old 02-20-2015, 08:16 AM

I don't buy pre-cuts, although I have received a few as gifts, the main reasons I don't are price(you're paying someone else to cut your fabric and they're not nearly as careful as you would be), and I don't want "matchy-match, I also have enough fabric stash that I don't NEED to buy any fabric, have no place to put it. LOL Although I'm sure that won't stop me, if I find something I just HAVE to have. LOL
Old 02-20-2015, 08:38 AM

I'm afraid I'm no help either, and my stash is at least 90% solids and blenders. I never buy from the sources you mentioned and don't buy pre-cuts for the same reasons as pocoellie.

However, if you'd like suggestions on how to add solids and blenders to a stash in general, without those size or price constrictions, it becomes easier to offer help. Look at what you have for prints and you'll most likely see a tendency towards one or two, three tops, colorways. Those are the colors you gravitate towards instinctively. Look for solids, blenders and tonals that merge well with what you have on hand.

Some people suggest using the dye dots on prints to select coordinating fabrics of any type, soilds included. That works well if color choice is difficult for you, but I've found that a variety of values works far better than matching the dots precisely. The result is more depth and movement in the quilt when all are cut and pieced and combined.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Thank you for your input I think that I will add preproject.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 AM

I have found that a solid, because of its "solidness," really has to go with the prints I'm using, or it sticks out as a miss. The blenders are easier. And also that fabric that you buy and never use isn't so much of a bargain. If you're planning to make a quilt with all solids, then buy some assortments that appeal to you. To blend them in, though, I've discovered that Martha's Quilting Corner will work with your swatches to find a match. They get back to you very quickly, too. They have Moda bella and blenders, Kona, and Kaufmann fusions. Better than dealing with online pictures, which can be very unreliable. I recently bought 13 yards from them and was very pleased. Shipping is exactly what the post office is charging, and they can really cram a lot into an envelope -haha!

No affiliation, etc.

Hugs,
Charlotte