Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the largest harp/throat space out there? >

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:23 PM

I appreciate everyone's input, but I really wanted to know if there is a sewing machine out there that has a large harp/throat space. I know how to quilt on my long arm, but I don't want to quilt on my long arm. I'm so glad so many of you enjoy it. I want to quilt on a sewing machine with a large harp/throat space. I wondered if anyone knew about a machine such as that. I'd love input on that.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ro View Post
I also believe its the new epic
I looked this up. It's got 12.2 inches and 5.5 inches in height, but ouch, it's 15,000$! I'll definitely have to give this more thought and do more research.

Thank you everyone!
Old 11-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I appreciate everyone's input, but I really wanted to know if there is a sewing machine out there that has a large harp/throat space. I know how to quilt on my long arm, but I don't want to quilt on my long arm. I'm so glad so many of you enjoy it. I want to quilt on a sewing machine with a large harp/throat space. I wondered if anyone knew about a machine such as that. I'd love input on that.
But you did ask if anyone had any other ideas...
Old 11-29-2015, 03:41 PM

I guess if your free motion quilting looks lovely with your long arm, it will take some practice to like it on a smaller machine. Even if you find a machine with a huge harp space, you will still be moving the fabric, rather than the needle or machine. Those two movements seem so different to me that at this point I think I would have a hard time switching to a long arm. (or so I tell myself What is it that you don't like about your long arm?

Sorry, I didn't see your last posts while I was typing my response. Please disregard.

Last edited by suern3; 11-29-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:53 PM

I hope you find the machine that will make you happy! I, too, had problems making friends with my midarm machine for years. Froze up every time I put a quilt on there, thinking I'd just make a mess of it. That is, until I started putting quilt tops on it this last year and just playing. Yep, that's what it took. I did everything on those tops, every design I could find, everything I ever wanted to try. At first, it looked horrible. I just took a deep breath and kept on playing with the design over and over until I was happy with the way it looked. Truly, just playing and not giving a dang what it looked like was the best thing I ever did. Laverne and Shirley (my frame and midarm) are now two of my best friends! And I'll probably never give those "play" quilts away, because they all show my before-and-after progress.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
But you did ask if anyone had any other ideas...
Good point. I shouldn't have let my frustration get the best of me. How about other ideas,that don't include keeping or getting another long arm?

I'm sorry for getting snarky everyone.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM

Yes, there are longer armed sewing machines out there but they are industrial, which is nothing to be afraid of. I had an industrial for years and it was so easy to use I could place one stitch at a time. The machine will sit in an industrial table but depending on what you choose, they can look pretty nice especially if you are sitting in front of it all the time! All you need is a straight stitch machine with a 16 or 18 inch throat. They use that type of machine for making of all things - bedspreads! Do a google search of industrial machines if you think you might be interested in going that route.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Originally Posted by ro
I also believe it's the new epic
I looked this up. It's got 12.2 inches and 5.5 inches in height, but ouch, it's 15,000$! I'll definitely have to give this more thought and do more research.
And isn't that exactly what was said in the very first reply to your original question?
Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 PM

I've had a Gammil for over 11 years and have had very little problem with tension issues but I keep using the same brand/kind of thread just different colors as recommended by my dealer.
Are you quilting for customers? That's what stressed me out on many occasions especially when I had too much going everywhere else in my life.
Good luck on your search.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
And isn't that exactly what was said in the very first reply to your original question?
Yes. I suppose ro just wanted to reiterate it. I looked it up for further information and confirmed the information already provided. ��