Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the matter? >

What's the matter?

What's the matter?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
If your machine has auto tension controls it is a little harder to correct tension problems, but try making sure there are no pieces of thread stuck in the top tension discs, since that will hold the discs further apart which would tend to make the top tension too loose. I have a Brother Embroidery machine that does this and after a shop visit when the repairman showed me what the problem was, I just take mine apart and clean out the discs, and the problem disappears. The good news was that the dealer serviced it for free since the machine was only 6 months old the first time it happened. :D
What is the auto tension control?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Are you using the same type of thread in the bobbin as in the top? could be that or could be the bobbin is in backwards?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewred
Are you using the same type of thread in the bobbin as in the top? could be that or could be the bobbin is in backwards?
Both threads are the same. I've double checked my bobbin direction and rethreaded it about 10 times. Thanks!!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM

My two Vikings have not had a bobbin tension adjustment screw....has to be adjusted at the shop by a technician. Perhaps your machine is made the same since there is no mention of a bobbin adjustment in your manual.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM

I just looked at the picture again....it does not appear to me the thread has been threaded through the bobbin take-up. Looks to me like it is just winding off the bobbin and coming up through the needle plate. I don't know what brand machine you have and I may not be seeing this correctly so I may be way off base.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
I just looked at the picture again....it does not appear to me the thread has been threaded through the bobbin take-up. Looks to me like it is just winding off the bobbin and coming up through the needle plate. I don't know what brand machine you have and I may not be seeing this correctly so I may be way off base.
Bobbin take up? I'm still learning all the parts to my machine and my manual is absolutely NO help. I have a Brother CS-6000i
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
If your machine has auto tension controls it is a little harder to correct tension problems, but try making sure there are no pieces of thread stuck in the top tension discs, since that will hold the discs further apart which would tend to make the top tension too loose. I have a Brother Embroidery machine that does this and after a shop visit when the repairman showed me what the problem was, I just take mine apart and clean out the discs, and the problem disappears. The good news was that the dealer serviced it for free since the machine was only 6 months old the first time it happened. :D
What is the auto tension control?
A lot of machines adjust the tension automatically according to the weight thickness of the fabric being fed through the presser foot. Others ( a lot of the new ones) have the actual tension discs hidden behind white plastic and you just guide the thread through the slots and it automatically puts the thread in the right place. However sometimes when the thread breaks or if it is rough it deposits lint or tiny bits of thread in these discs that do not pass through. Thes little pieces of lint although they look insignificant, are enough to adjust the tension to a looser tension and that can cause problems such as you are experiencing. I had an old Singer 6268(1980's) that had an auto tension control, but still had some plus and minus settings that I could intervene to further adjust but otherwise it just automatically set the tension as I sewed. Boy do I wish I hadn't sold that machine! Any way I hope this helps explain. Don't remember did you mention the make and model fo your machine? :-)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Don't remember did you mention the make and model fo your machine? :-)
I just did in my last post. It's a Brother CS-6000i
Old 11-12-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by donnalynett
Bobbin take up? I'm still learning all the parts to my machine and my manual is absolutely NO help. I have a Brother CS-6000i
The bobbin rests in a well, thre is usually a slot that guides the thread into a little groove that causes the thread to pull against a flat piece of metal that tends to be like a spring, that creates the bobbin tension. A lot of those Brothers have little plastic plates on top that you just guide the threads through and it automatically sets the bobbin up to feed the thread properly. I am curious it sounds as if this is a new machine, have you contacted the dealer to help you with these issues that you don't see in the manual? Usually dealers include some helpful instruction on the parts and use of the sewing machine as part of the purchase. :)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Of course, I can't take it back to the dealer. I bought it from Wal-Mart about 4 years ago.