Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the most important tool?? >

What's the most important tool??

What's the most important tool??

Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 AM

I'm with Prism. I have a Roxanne's thimble in brass, and love it! I also treasure my Hinterberg lap hoop, which tilts and swivels in any direction. I find it difficult to hand quilt and hold a hoop at the same time. I need both hands free for just quilting.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 AM

Hand quilting takes some getting used to...but you can do it! And you are correct, not tight in the frame/hoop. When I use a hoop, mine is generally quite loose. As to thimbles...it can be a challenge to find a style/fit that you like. I use a Thimblelady thimble. They are open topped, thus designed so that you are pushing with the pad of your finger, not the top. I find this far more comfortable. And I agree that a quilting thimble is far different than a sewing thimble. Generally with normal sewing you are not pushing through as many layers. Thus, for quilting a thimble with deep dimples really helps hold the needle in place while pushing through all the layers. Your needles and threads will make a difference as well. I use Roxanne betweens. Most people recommend starting with a larger needle (smaller size number) and then work up to using a smaller needle. I use size #11 or #12 (pretty tiny). Make sure you are using hand quilting thread. I also like to use Thread Heaven (vs. beeswax) as a conditioner. Seems to make the thread 'glide' a little better.

I use a round wooden hoop - about 14" I think - and just have it my lap. No stand, frame, etc. I don't think I could get comfortable having to sit quite upright working on a floor frame of any style. With the lap hoop, I can just lean back in my comfy chair, put my feet up and quilt away.

Try to only load 2-3 stitches on your needle till you really get the hang of the 'rocking'. I feel I tend to rock my fabric vs rocking the needle. Once you get used to the rhythm, you might feel comfortable loading more stitches onto your needle.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

i seldom use a thimble- thimbles are one of those things- some people love them--others not so much...it's a personal thing finding the right one for you & then learning to use it in the best way.
as for the frame---if you baste your sandwich well you do not have to use a frame or a hoop- many of us simply hold the quilt on our laps with no hoop/frame.
it sounds as if you are using a pvc embroidery hoop - or one of the floor stand pvc frames? if it is too cumbersome- try a smaller one---the lap ones come in sizes from 6" square up to about 24"x18"...and wooden quilting hoops are about 14" round...but it is fine to try it without any. just try different things (maybe friends, local guild will have members who have different ones you could borrow & try) it all takes practice & getting used to what you are using.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

You don't have to use a frame. There are some very good youtube videos how to quilt without a frame. Several guild members use the Aunt Becky to hand quilt and their stitches are tiny.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

When I first started to hand quilt, I thought the fabric should be stretched tight as a drum in the frame.

It works a lot better to let the fabric be somewhat relaxed in the frame so that one can manipulate the needle in the fabric.