Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM

My brother in law was being smart one day and asked me to make him some briefs out of rabbit fur. So I knitted him a pair out of rabbit fur yarn and gave them to him on his birthday. He has never asked me for anything again and hasn't made any smart comments about my craftiness.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
i made a school mascot and name for a young man that died right he graduted from high school. it was his casket liner. the whole school turned out for his funeral he was well liked. that was the most unusual.
Wow I think this is the most unusual that I've read so far. It must have rather emontional doing it if you knew the young man.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Many years ago when I was an RN working in the OR, I made lots of those ; for me and co-workers. Easy peasy! I am just starting some Bopple balls for babies (my 2 new grandnieces). It is basically a ball filled with poly batting with tentacles sticking out all over the ball for the baby to hold on to. Never seen anything like it! I am not sure if I will be tearing my hair out when I make them though!

Diana in Canada (where it is rainy, rainy.....no snow yet!)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

These replies are all so interesting and some are very funny! You all are an inventive bunch!

My most unusual item was porobably the giant sheep / beanbag chair i made for our kids. Picture a Beanie Baby on steroids. They named him Popsicle and he had a cream lamb's fleece body with a black velvet face and legs. I have a feeling that someday I will be asked to make another one.

PS... Snow White and Dopey are beyond adorable!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
sap

Smile sun bonnet

Made a sun bonnet for an albino horse, wouldn't leave the barn without it. Also hand stitched a leather harness for her to pull us from here to there.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 PM

A cover for my husbands GOLFCART!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Cover for an outdoor air conditioning unit.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Qwiltylady View Post
I have made several things from Pokemon costumes for my grandson to costuming entire plays for our local theater group. I've made new bags for lawn mowers and monogrammed silk shirts for the local gypsy leader.

The thing I think was the strangest was a cold weather camera cover for a Hollywood crew that was shooting a movie here in the winter. The camera kept freezing up on them so I got out my window insulation and designed an insulated cover for the camera that would keep the cold and the snow out. I made the lens cover with clear vinyl and made it with velcro so it could be removed for the actual shooting. I had to create the pattern myself and was totally shocked when a month later I received a check for $250 and a request for a dozen more at the same price. I was so tired of making them after the 12 were done that I sent them my pattern and told them their prop person could make them.
I am impressed about the camera cover, what a great invention.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM

A crocheted "peter heater"
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM

What a talented group of people, thanks for the laughs and the sweet and touching items that have been made. My most unusal which really seems dull in comparison was for a dentist, he wanted a cover for the metal apron you wear when you get xrayed. The vest seemed worn looking so I a made a cover. Made several surigical caps for kitchen chef to wear and designed a box cover and swags for 30 foot Christmas Tree, the box was 5 foot by 5 foot, turned out very pretty. The box was the base of the tree.