Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 PM

This really made me smile. There are actually two unusual items I have made. The most fun one was camo fleece covering for my husbands crutches so he could go deer hunting after knee surgery. He managed to bring home the bacon(venison) too. The second item that was unusual was for my elderly aunt suffering from advanced Parkinsons .She was scraping her back whn using the commode, due to her lack of flexibility . I was able to make her a vinyl covering for the back of the commode that was padded with foam which helped reduce pressure on her back.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 PM

When I was in high school, back in the 60's, I made the cheer leaders outfits one year. Our high school was new and hadn't much budget, so I volunteered myself, much to my mom's dismay since the girls picked a very complicated pleat pattern. The outfits came out great and I still delight at seeing them on occasion when someone opens one of my old high school yearbooks.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:18 PM

A couple of years ago I made my neighbors husband a new cameo seat for his deer stand.. now he wants a zip up little tote for his personal things like water,snacks Etc. with a little loop to hang it on his deer stand...LOL!!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM

I have also made my son some scrub hats to wear in surgery. Much cheaper than buying! I have made him some from Christmas fabric, racing fabric, football team fabric, etc. I think others envy him!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Suz

I once made a wedding dress from a picture of the front only. There was not pattern available so I used a blouse pattern for the sleeves, a yoke from my daughter's dress pattern, the front and back came from a bathrobe pattern and I free handed the short train. I decided to use a close series of covered buttons and button loops on the back of the yoke. Unbeknownst to me, the attendant dresses had the same detail on the front of their short jackets. Then on the back of the gown, I placed a covered button. At the reception, she put on the fabric bracelet I made to match the attendant's dresses which the bride attached to the button to hold her gown while dancing. -- Obviously, I made a muslin first. NEVER AGAIN!! but I was happy with the results.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I once made a wedding dress from a picture of the front only. There was not pattern available so I used a blouse pattern for the sleeves, a yoke from my daughter's dress pattern, the front and back came from a bathrobe pattern and I free handed the short train. I decided to use a close series of covered buttons and button loops on the back of the yoke. Unbeknownst to me, the attendant dresses had the same detail on the front of their short jackets. Then on the back of the gown, I placed a covered button. At the reception, she put on the fabric bracelet I made to match the attendant's dresses which the bride attached to the button to hold her gown while dancing. -- Obviously, I made a muslin first. NEVER AGAIN!! but I was happy with the results.
Wow! You creative people just amaze me. I don't have an bit of creativity in my cells. I have to follow a pattern. But one of the reasons I wanted to persue quilting was the hope that I might be able to find a cell or two of it in me before I finish this life.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM

My most unusual thing I have made is a hat for my husband - also I always make his hankerchiefs (which outlast any you can buy). When he did roofing I made him a pillow for his poor knees and he has kept it all these years.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM

A seat for a snowmobile, the other one was cracked.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 PM

wonderful thread to read! my stuff pretty ordinary.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 AM

I made stethescope covers for my daughter who is an RN in the Emergency room. I embroidered and personalized each one. However, shortly after the hospital wouldn't allow them.