Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the name of this pattern. >

What's the name of this pattern.

What's the name of this pattern.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 PM

Default What's the name of this pattern.

This is a photo of me (right), my mum (left) and my late nan (centre). My Nan taught me to sew and it wasn't until she passed away that I got into quilting, I'd really like to re-create some of her quilts, maybe find a way to incorporate a few designs into one. Does anyone know what this pattern is? Usually I'm really good at searching things but I have no idea what to search for to find patterns.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Looks to me like a double wedding ring quilt.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 PM

Thank you Mistys Mum, that looks exactly like it.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 PM

Gee, I think you'd be wise to start off with a different quilt of hers. Double Wedding Ring isn't such an easy pattern to execute. Tackle this one last---or as one of the last ones. I don't know what other "difficult" patterns Nan may have made (Lonestar, Feathered Star, Mariner's Compass, New York Beauty, etc. are also difficult.) Good luck to you!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 AM

I won't be starting it for a while, I have a list of everything I want to make and wanted to add this to it. Nan was a really good quilter so one of them are easy. The other one I have (which I physically have, not just a photo) is one with 4 fans meeting with a tiny 9 patch in the middle of 4, they're all curved. My family have so e of her other quilts and ill take photos next time I go up and see them. I want to do this one with the rings in batiks graduating in colour from top to bottom. I also want to really take my time with it and make sure I get it perfect.

she made one like this that looks fairly easy.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by chloemartin; 09-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Gay

Hello Chloe, that's a lovely photo of you all, and your nan's quilt. If you google Rings that Bind by Cheryl Phillips, you will find a video on youtube that shows an easy way to make the Db Wedding Ring, and once you understand the how-tos' you will realise how you can have a variety of styles, and even sizes.
Happy stitching and please post photos for us to see

Cheers
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chloemartin View Post
,,,she made one like this that looks fairly easy.
this one, tumbling blocks, is also not easy if made the traditional way with all the Y seams and bias edges. here is a google search of marci baker's pattern of doing it the easy way. i used her method as a new quilter to make one and it wasn't that bad.
https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=not+...umbling+blocks
Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 AM

I haven't seen how you actually do the pattern but she makes it look very easy. Handy too because I was thinking of trying to use the blocks as a border.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 AM

Hi Chloe, the photo of you, your mom, and your Nan is adorable. The love shows through.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:08 AM

Your Nan was a very talented quilter. Your family is so blessed to have all those beautiful quilts. This is just a suggestion, but I would take pictures of all of them that I could, and add pictures of her and make a memory picture Album. Here is a web-site where you can find hundreds of quilt patterns quilters cache Thank you for sharing the pictures of your Nan's quilts.