Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
whats a shop hop? >

whats a shop hop?

whats a shop hop?

Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Our local Hop this year had 52 shops participating. I think the number is right. The are in Western WA from Canada to Oregon. I did 32 of them. Ours lasts 5 days and there is a special "theme" fabric. Each shop designs a block and then gives out the pattern and usually the fabric to make the 8 inch block. Some shops give you the pattern and part of the fabric and you can use from your stash. When you get done, its time to make a quilt using the blocks. So much fun!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 AM

UK imput. I met a group of quilters who were on a quilt hop. They do them twice a year at least. It is when they hire a coach and select an area to go to and visit as many quilt shops in that area in a day. They do this because they have no shops in their area .i think it is also an excuse to buy fabric and eat cake.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 AM

Ask your closest shops about how they handle the Shop Hop. Even if you may be unable to "hop" all of the shops, do the ones you can get to. They are fun and they have a "holiday"' feel to them.

I love the idea shared of having a specific mission. Great idea and focused! Productive too.

sandy
Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
......... I love the idea shared of having a specific mission. Great idea and focused! Productive too........
Thanks ... it's worked good for me. I've learned a LOT by doing that. The 4Bs were incredible. I would go into a store and announce that was what my focus was, and what could they show me or help me learn about the 4Bs? One example during the 4Bs ... at one, some samples came out of the back corners that I would never have seen .... several different batting samples the way you would buy them plus the same quilted up plus the same quilted and washed. What a good discussion I had, and opportunity to see, feel and compare the differences!

The shops really did want to please ... and since then, I've never hesitated to announce my "mission" and how they could help fulfill it, regardless of it being purchase oriented or education. Besides, if they handle it right, very often "education" leads to purchasing!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
I also wondered what they were, it wouldn't work here as quilt shops are few and far between in this country
Same here. I've tried to count them and I think there's only between 15-20 in the entire country