Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so great about BOM??? >

What's so great about BOM???

What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM

I just don't get the Block of the Month - it seems to cost more than if you purchased the fabric yourself, it takes way too long to finish a project, and you don't get another block until you finish the previous one??? What exactly is so enticing about it?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 PM

I don't know I have never done a BOM. Hope someone comes along and gives you an answer.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 AM

I like the idea that you only have to finish one block a month. That way you can work on numerous projects.

In addition, there are a lot of free blocks of the months such as on Fat Cat Patterns and many other sites.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 AM

I like block of the month although depending on the season and what is going on I have to play catch up sometimes.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

it's a small goal that can be reached each month. in the end, you get a beautiful quilt.... baby steps :)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 AM

My local LQS runs a BOM called the $20 quilt. You go each month at a preset time, get an update and demo on what's new in the shop, have a mini show and tell, see the new BOM pattern, drink tea and pick out your free fat quarter. By the time the year is over, you have 12 completed blocks, 12 fat quarters, learned several new techniques and viewed all the new merchandise, visited with your quilt buddies and have the instructions to complete your quilt - all for $20! I love BOM expecially the way my LQS ladies run it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 AM

I like the BOMs, especially the mystery BOMs. I am currenlty working on one with the Fat Quarter Shop. I feel like I at least accomplish something each month, if it is only the one block.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:08 AM

Many BOM's cost more, but you are paying for the convenience of having your fabrics cut and sorted for you. Although there are many lovely BOM's out there, I don't join them as I prefer to use my own fabrics.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 AM

When I went into a quilt shop, followed by my friend, [ya know, the one whose fault it is that I got that domestic treadle machine?] I saw some short bags with handles on the floor under a table that had fabric and whatnots in em. I asked the lady what those were, and she replied that they were BOM kits. When someone wants one, they put the whole kit in a bag with your name on it, [to which the other woman declares that she forgot to put some names on bags from today], and when you come in to work, you pull one out, pay for it, and then work on it. So basically the whole kit is [loosley - see comment about other other saleslady] set aside for you, but you pay as you go. It was pointed out that the [full size] quilt hanging obove the table was one of the current ones.
It seemed to make sense, but then my ever observant friend, begain counting the blocks on the quilt hanging there and when she got up to 27 blocks, she fell silent, and I know what she's thinkin . . . .
but someone came in and demanded the sales ladies attention before she could say anything.
I dunno, I don't get it either.
I took my fabric and the last ruler in the store, which took em forever to find a price on, and as I was [over paying] they found the instructions which had $2 lower price at the top [also noticed and pointed out by my friend], so they adjusted it, and we left.
So we'll never know how one gets a 28 block BOM done, or if.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 AM

I saw gorgeous quilt at last years' IQF here in Houston - Wildflower Rhapsody. Loved the pattern, the colors everything. So in the spring someone here mentioned Beehive Quilts was doing BOM of that quilt in same fabric. My first exp with BOM. The little envelope appears the first week of each month and goes into my to be done cabinet. It will be my first project to start in 2012.