Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so hard about 'blue'?? >

What's so hard about 'blue'??

What's so hard about 'blue'??

Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I once asked my sister what she would like for some event one year.

She said pillowcases. Okay, I can do pillowcases.

I asked her "What color?"

She said: "Light blue."

Okay - I asked her to send me some paint chips so I could get the right 'kind' of blue.

She said: "What's so hard about 'blue'?

Anyone else have this type of dialog? I was just trying to get a shade that would be compatible with what she had. I did not appreciate her apparent lack of cooperation.

PS - She has finally come around to realizing that there is more than one shade of any given color.
I'm always frustrated by color variations. Yellow & gold seem impossible to match. Green and blue can be bummers sometimes, but the yellow and gold are my problems.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by helenhiwater View Post
Some people like me will argue for hours over the difference between turquiose and teal. Some people don't see it. I go into a fabric store with hundreds of selections and never do find the shade I am looking for. The easiest thing is to just find something pretty.
simple, teal is far more green than turquoise.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 AM

25 years ago when we we building this house, I wanted beige vinyl on the gable ends. The builder brought us samples of beige. One was too pink, one was too yellow, one was too green, one was too blue----------I ended up with one that was more gray. Hubby decided I was nuts and that beige was beige.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM

I say make it blue in many shades, then they can match things to the quilt LOL
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM

there are so many shades of blue and if you go to dark it could be a country blue, or sky blue, lol...the list goes on. I know what you are talking about. My sister is buying her first house and I asked her if she wanted anything in particular. She said she couldn't think of anything. She said everything they own is tan/beige and just to make it go with that. That is much easier than "blue". I've seen my my sisters house once before, and everything she owns is plain. I can do just about anything as long as it isn't countryish(that's my new word for the day). I know you want to make something that goes and matches what she has. Is there anyway you can go visit or get a pic of what she has already? You can then pick fabric to go with it.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Hi there....found this business of blue interesting. Sounds like something my kids would have said
"What's hard about blue" . I understand the frustration. ggl

Vickey S.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I also ran into this situation. I asked my brother's girlfriend what her favorite color was and she said light blue. Well I made her a beautiful large foot warmer (bed runner) for the end of her bed and all she said was that's the wrong color blue! I about fainted! All that work for that?

Here is another story... My cousin begged me to make her a quilt. I said what color is your favorite? "Tourquoise" was her only response. So I made a beautiful queen sized tourquoise and purple star log cabin for her. When she got it last christmes she said. "This was not what I was expecting". She came to love it, but geez... What a let down for me!
Here it is... I know not everyones cup of tea...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t101447.html

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Fantastic idea. I'm going to use that.
Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
What a great idea. Rarely do I ask about colors.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I also ran into this situation. I asked my brother's girlfriend what her favorite color was and she said light blue. Well I made her a beautiful large foot warmer (bed runner) for the end of her bed and all she said was that's the wrong color blue! I about fainted! All that work for that?

Here is another story... My cousin begged me to make her a quilt. I said what color is your favorite? "Tourquoise" was her only response. So I made a beautiful queen sized tourquoise and purple star log cabin for her. When she got it last christmes she said. "This was not what I was expecting". She came to love it, but geez... What a let down for me!
Here it is... I know not everyones cup of tea...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t101447.html
It is pretty - but 'unconventional' when I think of log cabin.

I think I might have asked for another color that she likes with turquoise - some people like rust or brown.

By the way, turquoise, purple, and lime is one of my favorite color combinations.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I was just pondering things like this earlier.
Sometimes when we have a person in our lives that wants to find something, shall we say, "out of joint",
they will!
I've been advised to ignore and not take stuff personal.
Sometimes the very thing you are told "not to do", just puts it right 'there' on your brain