Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite part of quilting?

Since someone's got a topic on the least favorite aspect of quilting, I figured there should be a post on the *favorite* part of quilting.

Mine would have to be designing/planning and then seeing how it comes together.

I love laying out the finished blocks and finally "seeing" the top come together. Especially if it looks like I envisioned it.

Blog Entries
    Binding by hand.

Fabric selection :)

I love, love, love hand quilting.

I enjoy the challenege of piecing, and watching the quilt come to life......

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    I love, love, love hand quilting.
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ
    Finding it's home . . . on the wall, on the bed, gifting to recipient, delivering to a charity . . .

FINISHING it! LOL Really though, I love each stage as I'm in it, and start to get bored nearing the end of that stage...so when I get to the next stage, I get excited again. The only thing I really don't like is ironing the big pieces before cutting, and pressing the finished quilt top. I wish I could make a quilt without touching the iron...I never did enjoy ironing and only do it in normal life when I *absolutely have to*.

I guess what I love the most is when my plan on paper comes out in fabric how I expected or hoped it would.

I love it when I get the first block put together, and then doing the finished binding. At closings, I love to see everyone's face when the new homeowner opens the housewarming gift.

designing cutting and sewing. just love to quilt. I still have to get my head around FMQ tho

Quote Originally Posted by karen65ae
    Binding by hand.
    me too. But maybe I should say when I get it back from Dani after she has done such an awesome job of quilting it. She puts the icing on the cake and it is such a thrill opening the package and seeing what she has chosen to do. Always brilliant! Thanks Dani!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I have to agree.....designing and fabric pulls.
    As I usually draw out my own designs for a quilt and have a substantial stash of prints (some less than 1/3 yard, but hundreds to choose from), I really enjoy that process.

I have so many "quilts" *made* in my design book or for which the fabrics are all pulled and rolled in a bundle, that sometimes I KNOW I'll never get it all done. And of course, some are several years old, having been bundled years ago when I liked a certin group or colorway.....I usually forget to go back to those bundles and see if I might want them for something current. :?

Maybe I shoulld swap efforts with someone who has trouble choosing patterns and fabrics.............
    Nah. :D

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    First, I'll say my LEAST favorite part is MAKING DECISIONS.

Second, My FAVORITE parts are all the rest, buying fabric, ironing, figuring easiest way to make a multiple number of blocks, (hard time deciding which fabrics to use), cutting, piecing, sewing, ironing, laying out (although too much time deciding final layout), sewing, borders, and ... I'm just starting to like 'sandwiching' the quilt for machine quilting and the binding part.

Wish I could figure out how to make decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I have to agree.....designing and fabric pulls.
    As I usually draw out my own designs for a quilt and have a substantial stash of prints (some less than 1/3 yard, but hundreds to choose from), I really enjoy that process.

I have so many "quilts" *made* in my design book or for which the fabrics are all pulled and rolled in a bundle, that sometimes I KNOW I'll never get it all done. And of course, some are several years old, having been bundled years ago when I liked a certin group or colorway.....I usually forget to go back to those bundles and see if I might want them for something current. :?

Maybe I shoulld swap efforts with someone who has trouble choosing patterns and fabrics.............
    Nah. :D

Jan in VA
    LOL! I'm kind of the same way! I have several designs in mind where I started picking out fabric (well, looking on the Internet anyways) before its completely fleshed out. Probably since I've started quilting I had a project in mind to re-create the sea map from Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker into a wall hanging. The design evolves every time I start designing it again---first it had borders and a compass star and now it doesn't, the size and scale changes every time, first the islands were going to be appliqued and now they are going to be screen printed, and it always was planned with watercolor type fabric in a yellowish-peachy type color to give that faded parchment look. I plan some of it, put it away, forget about it for a while, and later end up coming back to it with new ideas. Then there are replicas of the stained glass windows from the same game...still have to get decent shots of them, but have some of the fabric picked out! I have more designs than I have completed quilts!

I really LOVE the piecing part of the process, I always have several projects going at the same time. I am hoping that I will get into the ACTUAL quilting part in 2011. So many tops unfinished

Banned
    Oddly enough, mine is cutting
    Which , no doubt, explains why I have about 20 plastic boxes of "started" quilts

No doubt: hand quilting! :-)

Piecing and sewing on the machine. As the blocks get bigger and bigger I get more excited to see what they will be when completely sewn. It always amazes me to see blocks come together.

Giving it to the loved one it was made for.

Blog Entries
    First I love seeing how the quilt looks after being LA quilted by Daisey. Amazing work. Then I love sewing the binding down by hand. Sewing it by hand gives me a real connection to the quilt.

Once my design is chosen my favorite part is sewing. :-D I love to sew!!

Funny to admit this but I think my favorite part, other than putting the blocks together, is ironing. I get some sort of strange satisfaction from starching and pressing the fabric ... weird I know.

Blog Entries
    Love hand piecing, too. I have been told I am sort of wierd but who cares?

I love the hand quilting part. The stitches really transform it into a warm and cozy hug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast