Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite way to make flying geese? >

What's your favorite way to make flying geese?

What's your favorite way to make flying geese?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 AM

Default What's your favorite way to make flying geese?

There are so many ways to make flying geese. What's your favorite way to make flying geese, and why?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 AM

E Burns Geese makers. I have both sizes.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 AM

Deb Tucker's Wing Clippers. There are two different ones, both make many sizes.

Until I started using these, my geese may or may not come out the right size. Often one corner or the other didn't come up at the right angle, leaving my geese wonky and my seam too scant.

With the Wing Clipper, you do make them a bit oversize and trim. That extra step and little bit, though are worth it to me as they come out perfectly every time.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 AM

I'm with ArlaJo. Flying geese rulers from Quilt in a Day is my favorite way to do them. With all other ways, I get one short wing!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Ditto Eleanor Burns but there are more than 2 sizes of rulers. Each one has 2 sizes on it. It is worth the cost to buy them since you make a lot of flying geese.
You also make 4 at a time with her method.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
E Burns Geese makers. I have both sizes.
I agree. I have tried various techniques of making flying geese but I like EB method the best! The reason I like her method is because if you are off just a bit on your stitching, when you are at the trim it stage, you can actually see how much you are off and correct it. You CAN make them scrappy and you can make them all the same. I like any method that you can check your stitching and make corrections. The bonus is that you don't have to deal with a bias edge and you get 4 geese from just two squares!! You really don't NEED her ruler to square up the geese. Just mark any ruler with the dimension of the geese and you are good to go.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 AM

I like the method where you located the square on each end sew and trim. I like the "waste" triangles already right side together for making small pinwheels.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Deb Tucker - far and away! I'm not a ruler-nut but it is the most accurate way to go. I did a post on this board not long ago raving about them. I will say, though, that the accuracy piecing them together into a border, with all those little fabric lumps, then pressing and sewing onto the next border neatly, is something Deb couldn't help me with
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Deb Tucker - far and away! I'm not a ruler-nut but it is the most accurate way to go. I did a post on this board not long ago raving about them. I will say, though, that the accuracy piecing them together into a border, with all those little fabric lumps, then pressing and sewing onto the next border neatly, is something Deb couldn't help me with
Before I started this thread, I thought I recently read a post about flying geese, and couldn't find it in my search. Yours is probably the one I was remembering.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 AM

If I need mulitple geese with both 'wings' the same fabric, I like this method: http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf There is no waste. I size them up a bit then trim to get it just right. Just got Wing Clipper...so will try that for the trimming. Eleanor Burns has a method for getting a different color on the wings too.