Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's your source for finding new quilt shops?

I am sure I cannot be the only one who seeks out any and all quilt shops when I am visiting a new area, on a vacation, etc.

Right now I am looking for shops in the Dover, Delaware area. And God forbid I should return home, finding a missed one!

I have googled "quilt shops Dover Delaware" but so many of the links are outdated or have minimal listings.

Do you have a go-to source, like a website that provides a truly comprehensive, up to date, listing?

Other than asking on this board, the best source I've found is a store that is open. Once you find one after digging thru all the outdated information, the folks there can usually help by finding a recent shop hop flyer, etc. They have always been helpful to me when they know I'm from out of town to steer me to as many places to spend money as they can.I found that even the annually published shop locator (that big book that sells for too many dollars!) has outdated information in it.

I usually only go local, so the phone book. But ask on the section here called OFFLINE, and people will help!

I bought a Quilters Travel Companion Book this year. Has all the States and quilt shops listed by city. I always ask the LQS owner or personnel if there are any other fabric / quilt shops in the area. They are usually helpful and I add them to my book. Do a google search. Here is the link http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.com/Home.htm

I also use the Quilters Travel Companion - call first and make sure they're still there. I also google, but still have to call and check first.

Debbiemg, I live in Delaware, but I live in New Castle county. So I have not yet managed to travel south to visit these shops. The first is Chicks N Stitches And Shady lanes Selections. If you PM me I'll give you Phone #'s to check times they are open. These two are in Dover. There are more if you're willing to travel. You know you can travel from the top of DE to the bottom in about 2 1/2 hrs.

I don't know how updated these are but:

http://www.quilt.com/QuiltStoresPage.html

And here's for Maine:
    http://www.mainequilts.org/quilt_shops.htm

I just went to Google and put in "Quilt shops in Maine". I think it works for a lotta other states, too.

dls
    There is a book that lists most quilt shops in USA and Can. I've seen it but can't remember where.

My quilting friends usually tell me about new local shops. (If you live near Salem, OR, there is a great new shop in Jefferson. Light and airy and tons of new bolts of fabrics.) When we travel I sometimes just search for "quilt" with the GPS. It finds names of local shops that are in its database.

Blog Entries
    I find them here and through the Dex yellow pages too :D:D:D

http://find.mapmuse.com/interest/quilting-shops is a site someone posted sometime ago. I bookmarked it but haven't checked it out! Good luck!

After several years of not wanting to spend the money on the Quilter's Travel Companion book, I finally broke down and purchased one. For me, it was well worth the money spent.

My other source is this Board - always a great source!

Keep in mind that the Quilter's Travel Companion IS current when it goes to press. Lots of shops can close in the time between their deadlines and actual printing to distribution.

It's still a source I turn to coupled with hours googling everything I can. I also use the ads in quilt mags and sometimes those help me discover new places too.