Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wheelchair quillow pattern

A while back someone on here wanted to make a quilt for a relative confined to a wheelchair....here's a quillow pattern made especially for wheelchairs so it will not interfere or get caught in the wheels. I thought it was such a good idea...I may make a few for a local nursing home. Scroll all the way down for the pattern and photo of the quillow.

http://www.orgsites.com/ok/kiamichiq...airQuillow.pdf

Thanks, Auntluc

Banned
    This is a great idea. I am thinking of making one for my 100 year old quilting friend who is in the nursing home....

And if it turns out well, I think I will make a few to give to the local nursing homes if they can use them...

Thank you for posting

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing this great idea for the wheel chair bound folks. I think we could all make one & donate it to someone who needs one. I might just have to make one for my Dad!! :D

Thanks,
    Cheryl

I have made several "lap" quilts for those at nursing homes. An appropriate size should at most 44" wide. You get too much larger, and they will overflow onto the wheel area and get caught. Sometimes, you can make them wider, but you have to be specific to the recipient nursing home that they give it to someone who is overweight or in some otherway would need a wider quilt. We just finished several at club that were 44 x 57. Plenty long enough to cover the legs and then fold over into the lap.

Some things to be careful for nursing home quilts:

All laundry is washed in piping hot water with purex. Sometimes they add a chemical to remove food/waste stains. Most of the time, it will make colors fade a/o bleed. The problems you run into is also shrinkage, even if you pre-washed. They use the same laundry treatment for each and every load. Quilts will not be treated any different than regular clothing, blankets or undergarments.

Also, I have found that fleece will work well under these washing guidelines. I made my mother a no-sew fleece throw about 5 years before her death. She had it on every time I visited, but I thought she only had it when I came to visit. Turns out, it was her favorite blanket and she had to had it on every day, except when it was in the laundry. Also, I thought my family was taking care of it's laundering process. Oh no, the home washed it just like they wash everything else. It only shrank just a tiny bit the first time it washed. After that, it was great. When she passed away, it was returned to me. It is in excellent condition. It really lasted a long time and it has withstood a lot of abuse at the laundry department.

Just my two cents. I just hate to see so much time going into a quilt only to see it ruined by the professional laundry junk they use.

Sometimes, blankets aren't needed as much as bibs are...adult bibs. But those can be harder to make.

M

Thanks Auntluc, I will save that for a future project for my Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Just my two cents. I just hate to see so much time going into a quilt only to see it ruined by the professional laundry junk they use.

Sometimes, blankets aren't needed as much as bibs are...adult bibs. But those can be harder to make.

M
    You've made some good points...thank you for posting them.
    Maybe a fleece quillow with a blanket stitch on the edges would be more practical for nursing home patients and adult bibs are a wonderful idea. I could use one myself...always getting something greasy on the front of my clothes.

mpeters, what bib pattern would you suggest? and what fabric??

Great pattern. Thanks. A friend asked me to make a lap robe for her mom who just couldn't keep the robe from slipping down. I put apron ties on it so it stayed up.

auntluc, would you mind if I shared this with my local quilt guild? I think this is wonderful and I could see others wanting to make some for our local veterans home.
    Piece ~ Tiffany

As far as bibs go, I just looked at a bib and then drew it out. It's the same shape as a bib, just the center is elongated to cover a grown up. I used very thin batting on some, none on others. I made the back bigger than the front. Stitched them together, I guess you could say i quilted it. Just in X shapes. Then I added velcro to the top and then brought the backing fabric around to the front and hemmed it. I've seen some that have a pocket at the bottom that catches the stray food.

Thanks auntluc! Never know when it will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    auntluc, would you mind if I shared this with my local quilt guild? I think this is wonderful and I could see others wanting to make some for our local veterans home.
    Piece ~ Tiffany
    Credit should be given to the Valley Piecemakers Quilt Guild...it's their design. I think the veterans home would be a wonderful organization to make them for.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the pattern I put it all together but being ADD I am confused about the leg info. Do you make a separate piece 30"x28" to add the solid piece. Where does the pillow part come into play? Sorry I'm so lame
    I had 2 1/2" squares already cut out and sewed them all together to arrive at the 42'X54" piece. Can anyone help me understand the instructions better.
    Betty