Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wheelchair quilt help

Wheelchair quilt help

I am making on making yo yo wheelchair quilts to donate. Does anyone have an idea on hand pockets.....what size is best. Also, I may add ties but not sure exactly where they should be placed. Can anyone give me a few hints? Thank you.

Sharon

Several people have made wheelchair/lap quilts on this board & will be here to give you more information. I like this site with the pocket in the front. Actually, it's 2 pockets....one for your hands & a small one on top for special items. The conversation about ties was brought up recently but not sure how to find it again. It's a very nice thing that you are doing to donate to those in need.

https://www.homesewnbycarolyn.com/lovie-lap-quilts.html

Power Poster
    My mother’s nursing home did not allow ties on quilts as they were considered restraints.

I would be worried about the durability of a yoyo quilt used on a wheelchair. There are so many opportunities for it to catch on things. This past summer I put a backing on an existing yoyo quilt with hand stitches in many, many places. Nothing will catch on the back, but there is still a small opportunity to get behind a yoyo from the front.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, teeny tiny restraints! I too would back the yo-yo. and what ever you decide on pockets, pin some fabric on to that size and try it out yourself to see how comfortable it would be. Good luck.

I helped some kids make wheelchair quilts last year. If I remember correctly, we made the pocket about 16" wide and about 8" tall before sewing. We slanted the pockets like Carolyn (link in 1st reply) does. We lined the pocket with flannel, but didn't add the second pocket on the front. Carolyn also adds flannel to the quilt, so that the user has flannel on both sides of the pocket. We just used the "birthing" method for the pocket and sewed it on the front.

If you'll line the quilt with flannel, it won't slide off the user's lap and you won't need to tie it on. We also clipped the corners of the bottom, so that the corners do not get caught in the wheels of the chair.

bkay

Oh, something to think about. Thank you.

Yes, I am definitely going to back it and line it with batting. Thank you

Yes, I will definitely line the quilt with flannel. And good point about the ties. with flannel no slippage. Thank you.

What is the "birthing" method? I've never heard of that, I am more or less self taught. Thanks!

The "birthing method is merely another way to say "turn the quilt inside out so the right side shows."

OK, thanks!

Blog Entries
    This is so timely for me. We are in the process of making charity quilts.

This is definitely going to be backed and lined with quilt batting. And I plan on tying each yo yo down thru all the thicknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    My mother’s nursing home did not allow ties on quilts as they were considered restraints.
    Yes, restraints for the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    The "birthing method is merely another way to say "turn the quilt inside out so the right side shows."
    I was talking about "birthing" the pocket. In this case, with right sides together, you sew it almost all the way around the pocket, leaving enough un-sewn to turn it right side out. Then, you just press it and top stitch it on. (Don't forget to pre-wash your flannel, as it will shrink.) I've never been exposed to yo-yos in real life, so can't give you any advice there. I was working with 5th graders, so we had to make it simple. We used whole cloth and 80/20 batting. They cut them out, sandwiched them, quilted them and added the pockets (with lots of help). I ended up binding them. In hind sight, birthing the whole thing would have been easier.

bkay

bkay...thank you. I understand and if I add pockets will do it that way. And yes, definitely will pre-wash the flannel, it shrinks so bad. I have just started my yo yo's after doing 6 afghans and about 5 or 6 wall hangings. I have quite a bit of small pieces of fabric that I hate to toss out so the yo yo wheelchair quilts are my next project and will keep me occupied during the long snowy winter. Happy sewing!

As a former wheelchair use, I think there are too many places on a chair for yoyos to get caught. I prefer yoyos for wallhangings and table runners. Thank you for doing this. Legs get chilled when you can't walk to help with circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Several people have made wheelchair/lap quilts on this board & will be here to give you more information. I like this site with the pocket in the front. Actually, it's 2 pockets....one for your hands & a small one on top for special items. The conversation about ties was brought up recently but not sure how to find it again. It's a very nice thing that you are doing to donate to those in need.

https://www.homesewnbycarolyn.com/lovie-lap-quilts.html
    That looks like a comfortable style of quilt, but it is much longer than we were told to do when our guild made some for a local charity (where we used to live). They requested very small quilts to prevent them from getting tangled in the wheels.

Tartan, would velcro tabs have been okay? It sure seems to me that many wheelchair bound people are not able to hold a quilt in a comfortable position.

Some years ago Macy's had a quilted plush-backed throw that had a separating zipper coming up from two corners on the same side. This could be draped around a person's shoulders and zipped in front. It was like a robe without sleeves. Hands could stay under it, or were free to hold a cup of coffee or whatever. The bulk of it was in back, under your sitter, but wide enough to come up over your knees from the sides.

I'm afraid this is a much simpler idea than I am able to describe simply. When opened out, this thing is rectangular and can be used as a flat throw. If you picture the two upper corners coming together as if you were starting to make a paper airplane, you now can perhaps see the person's head sticking out at the top and a zipper going down the front. A person sitting in a wheelchair would not actually be restrained by such a design because he or she would be wearing it like a robe, but it is much quicker to get on or off as needed. They no longer have the exact thing for sale. You could make a very similar design with a pieced quilt with fleece, minky or flannel on the back. I don't know the dimensions, but you could drape a lap quilt over your shoulders to get an idea of what would work.

A serape or ruanna or even just a longish cape similar to the things used in hair salons could all be made as a quilted design. Perhaps a sewing pattern for something like that would be a good starting point for determining the size.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Irishrose2...what size would you recommend for a wheelchair quilt? I have seen so many sizes and not sure what is the best. I've seen 36 x 36, 36 X45, 36 x 48, etc. I can't call a nursing home yet as I do not know who takes them and I am only getting started with cutting fabric. Since you were formally in a wheelchair I thought maybe you had an opinion. I don't want them to be too long to get caught in the wheels. Thanks.

Sharon

I think 36x45 would be good. Wide enough to tuck around most and long enough to reach near the ankles. I just tried a 36x36 and it didn't reach down very far and I'm not that tall anymore.

Thank you for your opinion. I think I will use your recommendation.

Sharon

Another comment about the birthing method--I always left a gap in the edge sewing and then finished it off by hand after turning. But if you can leave a seam open in the piecing, maybe on an added border, you can sew all the way around the outside, turn it at the gap and then top stitch the opening closed by machine as part of the quilting. This, of course, is for charity quilts, not show quilts.

Here's one that has all the bells and whistles that also works for scooters (with extended tabs) - download only.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...182&cat_id=467