Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When the binding on a soft-cover book breaks >

When the binding on a soft-cover book breaks

When the binding on a soft-cover book breaks

Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM

At our store we charge by the size of the spiral used, what cover (if any) is added, whether any copying is required, how many cuts are needed if there is copying, and how quick you need how many done. Obviously some of these factors would only be present if it is a 'print job' instead of adding a spiral to an existing book.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 PM

I had Kinkos do that to all my paper piecing books by Carol Doak so they would fit on my printer to copy her pages. Works like a charm. Some are spiral bound and some I had the binding cut off and they put three holes in the book so the pages are loose. Works great.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

You can buy a spiral book binding system really cheap now. I found one on Ebay for $35 last year. I use it for all my quilt and cookbooks. The binding rings are cheap. I use it to make booklets for my guild from free patterns I find online. Staples will cut the binding off a book sometimes for free, it's according to who is working that day. Book bindings are hard to cut off without a big paper cutter.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Mary Ellen Hopkins! Is she still active in the quilt world? The newer quilters have no idea what a treasure she is.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Mary Ellen Hopkins! Is she still active in the quilt world? The newer quilters have no idea what a treasure she is.
I saw her at the Nashville show 3 yers ago, she looked great, was teaching, but I did not take any of her classes.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 AM

had this done with all my paper piecing books, but they used 3 ring binders. Works terriffic
Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Google Goddess

yes, my friend takes her quilt books to Staples office supply store with the cool binding and a plastic cover sheet
Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Google Goddess

this makes the books to lay flat!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
..and you end up with single pages all over the place, you can get it spiral bound. I use the "It's OK ..." book A LOT and it came apart at the seams so I took it to Kinco's and for $7 (icluding a clear cover) I had a usable book again. Another benefit of the spiral binding is that I can fold the book in half which is a space saver.
perfect timing !!! i'm going to have my owners manual re-bound[it is now 125 loose pages] & was DREADING the cost!thanx for the post,really makes me feel better !!!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Google Goddess

glad you are going to get your manual re bound

Originally Posted by dar627742
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
..and you end up with single pages all over the place, you can get it spiral bound. I use the "It's OK ..." book A LOT and it came apart at the seams so I took it to Kinco's and for $7 (icluding a clear cover) I had a usable book again. Another benefit of the spiral binding is that I can fold the book in half which is a space saver.
perfect timing !!! i'm going to have my owners manual re-bound[it is now 125 loose pages] & was DREADING the cost!thanx for the post,really makes me feel better !!!