Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When the blocks aren't perfect

Banned
    next time when you trace and mark, put very fine sand paper on table. this will prevent the fabric from slipping.
    Also. Measure the smallest square and use that as your squaring piece. You might cut paper that size and then recut the rest to match. I would not go with what the blocks should have been. the squares can be any size and still work. When you make your square and in placement, make sure the points of the square line up with your diagonal seam lines. They will then fit.

There is a Quilt As You Go ruler to square up HSTs, and I love it. I got mine at JoAnn's with a 50% coupon.

What is a quilt as you go ruler.

Square them up. Even Eleanor Barnes has this problem, and she just squares them up before joining them together.

Every project is a learning experience. Sew buttons on the centers in wild colors. No one will see the points :>

Blog Entries
    Ok at the chance of sounding like a total beginner I am going to ask this question...everyone suggested finding her smallest block and using those measurements for squaring up the rest of the blocks,,,,,ok assuming the rest of the blocks are the right size why wouldn't you just redo the smallest one?
    Mimi thank-you for posting I learn from all of you that are braver then I.

Quote Originally Posted by libertykm
    I'm sorry, it's not a quilt as you go, it's one of Eleanor Burns' rulers specifically made for squaring HSTs.

I guess my fingers were typing faster than my brain was thinking.

Definitely square them up. Pinwheels are a hard place to start. I was quilting over a year before I could get them to match up. Don't get discouraged. Practice, practice, practice. Fortunately, practicing quilting is fun.

After years of frustration I bought a Eleanor Burns square up ruler - ahh, end of problem. Who says they have to be a certain size -- oops, I forgot all about the Quilt Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    Quote Originally Posted by libertykm
    I'm sorry, it's not a quilt as you go, it's one of Eleanor Burns' rulers specifically made for squaring HSTs.

I guess my fingers were typing faster than my brain was thinking.
    I looked it up on google and all I find is flying geese rulers and fussy cut rulers.

go to www.quiltinaday.com; choose Shop Online; choose Rulers & Templates, then scroll down to 6 1/2 Triangle Square Up Ruler by Quilt in a Day.

If your HSTs are larger than 6 1/2", there's also a 9 1/2" Square Up Ruler.

cc
    How do you square off from the middle?

Instead of tracing templates and cutting, invest in a rotary cutter and cutting mat as soon as you can. You don't run the risk of stretching the fabric as you trace around your template, plus, if your pencil isn't sharp you will have a thicker line to cut through and end up with shapes of different sizes. Also, when you press, especially on the bias, make sure you are using a dry iron. Steam will stretch your bias seams.

I would square them up, for what you have done, then make pinwheels by taking two fabrics face to face, the size of the square you want, sew 1/4 completely around all four sides. Then cut corner to corner on the diagonal. then take that 1/2 triangle and cut it corner to middle of the long edge. It's so easy, I just hope I explained it so you can understand. I'm planning on doing a pin wheel soon, but have so many others I have to get done first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    go to www.quiltinaday.com; choose Shop Online; choose Rulers & Templates, then scroll down to 6 1/2 Triangle Square Up Ruler by Quilt in a Day.

If your HSTs are larger than 6 1/2", there's also a 9 1/2" Square Up Ruler.
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    I would square them up, for what you have done, then make pinwheels by taking two fabrics face to face, the size of the square you want, sew 1/4 completely around all four sides. Then cut corner to corner on the diagonal. then take that 1/2 triangle and cut it corner to middle of the long edge. It's so easy, I just hope I explained it so you can understand. I'm planning on doing a pin wheel soon, but have so many others I have to get done first.
    Wow, this is genius. I would have never thought of that on my own. Would you mind if I included your idea when I post my finished quilt on my blog?

This whole thread has been a learning experience.

if I need to square up from the middle. I find the sz I need. I take a pc of template plastic, cut it to that sz. Take a ruler & a fine sharpie marker, draw a line from corner to corner(diagonals). center it over your block middle, carefully place your ruler on top, & rotary trim away the small edges.save the template to reuse or recut!I know you can square up from your rulers, but I find it MUCH HARDER

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    Square them up. It will save frustration (and cussing) later.
    ...and crying. Definitely square them up!

Blog Entries
    What is a fussy cut square/ruler?

A square up ruler has the diagonal line marked on it. You just line up one corner of your block at the size you want, make sure your seam line is on the diagonal line of the ruler and cut your block to size. One step - easy peasy - HST nice and square with seam going corner to corner.

Just came home from a retreat weekend where we used THANGLES for our half-square pinwheels and it really works well. Also, helps to stabilize the fabric. Takes a little care in removing the paper.

Dee
    R I P and you'll be happy you did. Or like the other quilters said-square them off.

Measure your smallest block and square up the others to match it.

Looking at you blocks I looks like you have not pressed as you go properly. I have had that problem with other peoples blocks as well as my own. that is one reason why they are not right. Also check that you have a 1/4 seam, if this is nor right it also will make your block uneven. if you do not have a 1/4 foot measure 1/4inch from your need and put a piece of tape on that line and allow the fabric to follow along that edge. but always press, not iron( do not move the iron) you may have to unpick and start again--Sorry.

Okay I am also a new beginner and working on my first baby quilt.
    My blocks have embroideried line work zoo animals it is a scrappy log cabin design.They are not the same size either. How do I square them up? Do I just cut the squares all the same size all the way around the block or what?I have a really wide ruler.

I don't want to have to rip them all apart (again):)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast