Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt) >

When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt)

When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt)

Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM

May you have a better day tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Bambi,
Sorry for your troubles, but I have to tell you it did make me laugh out loud, and for me it's not that easy since I am a week out from jaw surgery.
Please be assured that we have ALL had days like this where it is easier to just walk away for a while, rather than burn the project to get it out of our sight.
Better luck tomorrow!!! :thumbup:

Happy quilting,
Susan
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
May you have a better day tomorrow.
It's the bad days that makes us appreciate the good ones! Tomorrow will be better! Hugs
Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Google Goddess

oh no you got more fiber in take today

rofl

Originally Posted by Grambi
I'm working on a quilt for my DFIL who is an 85 year old retired minister). It is a Batik Cross (will post pictures when I have it together) which looks sort of Celtic and is dark purple, red, navy blue and gold on a white background. Because it is done in such contrasting colors, I'm clueless how to quilt it so this one is going to Charisma.
I'm so excited to have her do a quilt--it will be the first one I have had professionally quilted. I want it to really look good--you know, well done, sharp points. He would never notice but Charisma might. It is all HSTs with a few solid pieces (4" finished squares). I have been meticulously careful. Have all the rows sewn together and up on the design wall and I go out today and start sewing the rows together. This is how it goes:

Gorgeous day, windows and doors open, birds chirping, sun shining, nice breeeze. A tiny bug keeps flying around my face, landing on my nose. Kill it and another one takes it's place. Over and over and over.

First row goes together well. Love how it all fits when you have been careful with each step along the way. But I think I need to shorten my stitch length as the gray thread might show on the dark colors when it is stretched out on the LA frame.

Second row. Sew it on carefully, lay it on the ironing board and, oops, need to pick out a few inches here and there of those tiny little stitches to re-do some intersections.

Third row. Maybe I'll sew it first with a longer stitch then when I know that it's okay, I'll go back with the tiny stitch.
Get to the ironing board. What the heck, why is my tension off so much. Practically have eyelashes on the back. Rip it out, adust tension, sew, rip, adjust tension, sew, rip, swat at knat, again and again and again. An hour later, I'm still trying to put on row three. Okay, looks like the tension is good. Take a deep breath, count to ten, take a big gulp of tea. OMG!!!! All the threads that I have been picking out, I have been putting in my tea glass and not my trash receptical. I just drank a big mouthful of thread pieces.

That is how the lowly HST kicked my butt today.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM

Sorry you had such a rough day - but thanks for the laugh.

I used the same method jaci explained for an 80"x80" that was all 8" blocks and it worked like a charm.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I've had those kind of days. Hope tomorrow will be better.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Awwe Bambi, I was so with you when I read your post. Then when I got to the thread in the tea I had to laugh. Hope things go better next time round, might put screens in the window so those nat's won't bother you. lol

Can't wait to see the pic.

Patty E
Quilting Mad In Mansfield Ohio
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Oh what a bad day - hope tomorrow brings nothing ut successes.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 AM

Too funny, not laughing at your pain just the idea of swat, rip, stitch and drinking the threads...look at the bright side at least the tea didn't have all the gnats that you swatted in it........ewwwwwwwww
Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 AM

We all had those days! Great story and sense of humor! Cant wait to see the finished quilt!