Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt) >

When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt)

When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt)

Old 10-21-2011, 04:10 AM

Sounds like "tea leaves"!!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the morning laughter. I hope it all goes together better now.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 AM

There are days like that! I so sympathize with you - hope you could laugh at yourself> I find having a good laugh at my own expense is a pretty good stress reliever :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Sorry you had a rotten day but it was funny.

I'm sitting here at work taking a break and my workmates think I'm nuts - I just burst out laughing.

I will admit I've never done this but you can bet I will make sure my coffee is not in the same general area as my thread trash!!!

:)
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM

Glad to hear other people have days. haha laughing with you
Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM

you had me going! when you got to the end with the threads in your tea was the last straw, no it's not funny to you but that was funny! Sorry for your troubles, walk away and try again later, what I have to do or I just end up killing it...LOL

Originally Posted by Grambi
I'm working on a quilt for my DFIL who is an 85 year old retired minister). It is a Batik Cross (will post pictures when I have it together) which looks sort of Celtic and is dark purple, red, navy blue and gold on a white background. Because it is done in such contrasting colors, I'm clueless how to quilt it so this one is going to Charisma.
I'm so excited to have her do a quilt--it will be the first one I have had professionally quilted. I want it to really look good--you know, well done, sharp points. He would never notice but Charisma might. It is all HSTs with a few solid pieces (4" finished squares). I have been meticulously careful. Have all the rows sewn together and up on the design wall and I go out today and start sewing the rows together. This is how it goes:

Gorgeous day, windows and doors open, birds chirping, sun shining, nice breeeze. A tiny bug keeps flying around my face, landing on my nose. Kill it and another one takes it's place. Over and over and over.

First row goes together well. Love how it all fits when you have been careful with each step along the way. But I think I need to shorten my stitch length as the gray thread might show on the dark colors when it is stretched out on the LA frame.

Second row. Sew it on carefully, lay it on the ironing board and, oops, need to pick out a few inches here and there of those tiny little stitches to re-do some intersections.

Third row. Maybe I'll sew it first with a longer stitch then when I know that it's okay, I'll go back with the tiny stitch.
Get to the ironing board. What the heck, why is my tension off so much. Practically have eyelashes on the back. Rip it out, adust tension, sew, rip, adjust tension, sew, rip, swat at knat, again and again and again. An hour later, I'm still trying to put on row three. Okay, looks like the tension is good. Take a deep breath, count to ten, take a big gulp of tea. OMG!!!! All the threads that I have been picking out, I have been putting in my tea glass and not my trash receptical. I just drank a big mouthful of thread pieces.

That is how the lowly HST kicked my butt today.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Your HST day gave quite a few of us a good I remember a day just like that laugh.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm still wiping tears from my eyes!!! Thanks for the laugh. It is sooooooooooo comforting to know I'm not the only one that does stuff like that. I've been fighting an applique of the letter "S" for over an hour and finally decided to walk away for a bit. Again, thanks for the laugh and for sharing.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Once when I was painting I rinsed my paint brush in my cup of tea. We all have those kind of days. DianeC
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 AM

Wish you a better day tomorrow!