Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when it comes to fusibles >

when it comes to fusibles

when it comes to fusibles

Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Thank you all for the information....I used to do the whole piece fused and did not like the stiffness...or lack of flexibility as it were..For large pieces I do the trace and trim the center out as well...or use scraps around the edge, but not TO the edge...a bit in so the threads move easily through the fabrics...

I love fusible web...and use many kinds..paper backed and non paper backed. I love to try all the NEW things on the market, and find for the most part, though different, they all do the job about the same.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM

I used to do the whole piece too, but agree it's too flat and stiff for my liking. I now "window" the appliques.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
I used to do the whole piece too, but agree it's too flat and stiff for my liking. I now "window" the appliques.
window...that is a perfect word for it...easy to explain using that term....

the best for flower and animal parts....
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
I leave a little extra and only fuse what I need. If the piece is large, I cut the center out and just fuse around the edge, then trim it back to the line. I prefer this way most of the time.

I use the steam a seam tape when I have straight lines. This is how I put my quilt labels on. Then I blanket stitch the edges...when I remember to do it prior to quilting that section. ;)
I find I use more of the tape than the sheet stuff....easier to grab and snip I suppose!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
I draw my shape on the fusible, cut it out with a small margin all around, then fuse it and cut
I do the same, but on the larger pieces, I do what is called "windowing". That's where you cut out the center of the fusible BEFORE ironing it to the wrong side of your fabric, leaving about 1/4" of the fusible inside the drawn line. This leaves the center of the piece unfused and softer. This also allows you to carefully cut out the underneath layer (after you sew it done) to reduce the thickness & stiffness. This is especially useful when you are stacking layer upon layer.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM

window...that is a perfect word for it...easy to explain using that term....
I do not like waste either will try this next time Thanks for the tip
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 AM

You can also save on the fusible if you have larger pieces by nesting smaller pieces inside the bigger pieces!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 AM

I, too, window the larger pieces, and fuse it onto the fabric and cut last. The trouble is I have a large bag of scraps that are usually too small for what I need them for. lol. I'm sure I will use them sooner or later. Last year I made at least 5 quilts with fusables on them and now have all those pieces left over. They are fairly large pieces, just too small for the next project.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I am wasteful - I draw it onto my piece of fusible, iron it to the fabric, then trim them both at the same time - it is much quicker doing it that way.
me too I trace them very close together-a bit of waste but faster.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
I draw my shape on the fusible, cut it out with a small margin all around, then fuse it and cut
I do the same, but on the larger pieces, I do what is called "windowing". That's where you cut out the center of the fusible BEFORE ironing it to the wrong side of your fabric, leaving about 1/4" of the fusible inside the drawn line. This leaves the center of the piece unfused and softer. This also allows you to carefully cut out the underneath layer (after you sew it done) to reduce the thickness & stiffness. This is especially useful when you are stacking layer upon layer.
thanks to you all for sending info...I am going to do the windowing technique on my next wall hanging...will be sure to post pix