Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When do YOU call it quits??

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Stop when mistakes pile up?
    Stop when it's no longer fun?
    Stop because ____ tells me to?

Shoot, I stop when it's time to start hitting the bottle!
    Which is usually after I've done something totally inane, frustrating, time-wasting, humbling.....
    Like tonight.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

A dear friend just gifted me with the Sidewinder so I will have no more excuses to run out of bobbin---Happy Holidays Everyone!

Hahahah....been here more than once!

Yep, been there, too. Either I stop for the day or take a break for a while if the day is still young . Sometimes I will switch to a different project.

I was sewing HUGE pinwheel star blocks and did two at a time. The first two turned out fine. The second two not so much, I reversed the pinwheel colors and had to rip both blocks out entirely. Took a couple of hours to rip it all out. I was done sewing for that day! I still have two to go but that will have to wait until the Christmas rush is over.

My stupid thing is to not change the stitch after I have done it wrong. If I have the zig-zag stitch on and am finished with that, I put on the next piece for straight stitching and forget that it is on zig-zag. So I take the fabric out, rip out the zig-zag stitches and put it back in. Away we go - - still on zig-zag! LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

oh goodness....time to take a break. I've done that before.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Sorry but that made me smile!! I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in this boat Yep, that's about the time to call it quits!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Power Poster
    I've done this myself a time or two. When mistakes happen or I get frustrated, it's time to take a break, take a nap, go to bed, whatever, things will look different in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
    So I realized that my bobbin ran out... 9 out of 12 quilt pieces ago!!

So I meticulously re-pinned them, took a time-out to eat dinner, and re-sewed them. Only to realize, that I NEVER REFILLED THE BOBBIN!!!!

I think it's time for bed...
    I usually give up after about the third stupid mistake.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

that's almost as funny as me sitting on the pin cushion. :-) but I stop when I repeat a mistake, or start making several in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
    So I realized that my bobbin ran out... 9 out of 12 quilt pieces ago!!

So I meticulously re-pinned them, took a time-out to eat dinner, and re-sewed them. Only to realize, that I NEVER REFILLED THE BOBBIN!!!!

I think it's time for bed...

Thank you!!!! You've just reaffirmed m sanity. I was worried there for a bit! Thank heavens we are all in the same boat. When I start talking to my machine and calling the fabric not-so-nice names, it's definitely time to stop fo the time being!

Blog Entries
    I fill three bobbins with thread before starting any new project. It's time to stop when last bobbin is empty; at least long enough to fill three more. Otherwise, i quit when i've been making the same mistake over and over, a good show comes on tv which is in different room, or Poo_Chie and Truffles come tell me it's waaaaay past bedtime!

Blog Entries
    Been there, done that. My Singer 9960 beeps when the bobbin is out or the needle is UN-threaded. Great asset. Just wish it would say so before hand!! Take care of yourself and get some rest. God bless you.

Love it ... Isn't it great that we can all laugh at ourselves! Running out of bobbin is one of my greatest feats! Seems like no matter how often I look at the bobbin to see how close I am to running out, you can always hear me say, "oops ... ran out of bobbin!" Hope your days have been better. Merry Christmas!
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Well, you posted at 1:27 a.m. I'd say it was way past time to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Hahahaha - oh you poor thing. It was definitely time for bed. Or a break at least. Maybe try keeping some pre-filled bobbins around. Sometimes if I know that I'm going to likely use a couple I'll fill two instead of just one, so it's there.

Good luck!
    I fill 20 at a time. Once I'm set up I like to get a bobbin holder full. It's so nice when you are in the swing of sewing and you get to!!!
    Judi in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaCindyLou View Post
    I NEVER REFILLED THE BOBBIN!!!!
    LOL - I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you....I did almost this exact (exact!) same thing on Tuesday night....
    Me too! On Sunday night! LOL
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

I quit when I run out of wine! LOL....jk. I quit when I feel tired or when I start making stupid mistakes or when my eyes aren't focusing any more.

LOL!! Isn't it very reassuring to know that our fellow quilters also make mistakes and not only once? I'm so glad we can laugh at ourselves!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I have done this so many times it's not funny. I bit the bullet and ordered 100 extra bobbins. Now each time cut out a new quilt top I prewind a dozen bobbins before I sew my first piece. It doesn't keep me from sewing a few pieces with no bobbin, but at least i'm ready with a filled one.

I bought one of the BIG spools of brown 100% cotton Coats & Clark thread. It's been breaking every couple minutes. After a half dozen re-threads, I decided it was the thread that had the problem, not me, and not my machine.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Tdejournett View Post
    I have done this so many times it's not funny. I bit the bullet and ordered 100 extra bobbins. Now each time cut out a new quilt top I prewind a dozen bobbins before I sew my first piece. It doesn't keep me from sewing a few pieces with no bobbin, but at least i'm ready with a filled one.
    Springing for a bunch of new bobbins was probably the best money I've spent lately.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    Well, you posted at 1:27 a.m. I'd say it was way past time to stop!
    I don't use my machine much at that time of night, but I do cut stuff, pin stuff, hand sew..................when my bones start complaining, I hit the recliner or chair and work on sewing-------------if I can't go back to sleep.

I need to be there now----------with a bit of hand work on a couple Christmas gifts.
    U N T I E

Many times I will say I am going to quilt until a certain time or maybe for two hours, but quit immediately if it begins to feel like I am 'working'. Sometimes I am having such a good time I can quilt for a looonnngggg time and need to stop to eat or sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast