Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When do you get your best quilt ideas? >

When do you get your best quilt ideas?

When do you get your best quilt ideas?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM

I have this quilt I have been sitting on forever. It was a challenge my best friend & I did. Well ...now you have to hear the whole story....We were talking about someone wanting to buy a quilt but didn't want to pay the price SOOOO we decided to make a quilt as CHEAPLY as we possibly could. This is funny, you're going to laugh! So we started digging fabrics out of our stash, knowing they were cheap fabrics. She won because she was older & had fabrics from places I'd never heard of! So we worked on these quilts once a week at her house until we got them done....think it was more fun just getting together...So we used all this fabric out of stash, caught the batting on sale at JoAnn's for 50% off, got the backing at JoAnn's for 50% off & I think my quilt top cost me less than $50. THEN we decided to send this quilt of all quilts to a friend who does long arm quilting! Now was that stupid or what! Should have sent a GOOD quilt, not one we were trying to scrimp on. The long arm quilting cost more than the whole quilt. But when I got this quilt back, I noticed that I didn't have a border on mine! I ALWAYS put a border & the binding on BEFORE I quilt it. So it's been sitting in waiting for me to finish it. Well I have had this quilt on my mind non stop wanting to get it done. I thought of how I could put the border on since I failed to do it right & then this morning I woke up & BAM the idea hit me in the head! I want to put a white 6" border around it (have to do the fold & finish method for the border since it's already quilted). I've always wanted a quilt with a winding vine & flowers around it! PROBLEM SOLVED! Now I don't know if any of you believe in 'there after" because TODAY is the 3rd yr anniversary date since my friend passed away! Is this strange or what? She's done other things to "make me believe' but I just found this exhilirating this morning when I wore up! THANKS BETTY for the idea! So my border problem has been solved! Yippieeeee!

Cheap, cheap, cheap...................
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158685[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158680.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 AM

It's a beautiful quilt even though you made it "cheap". I do BELIEVE and glad that Betty gave you the idea to get your quilt finished!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 AM

That is so cool, the story, the quilt and the ending. I do believe. Most of my super ideas come in the middle of the night out of nowhere. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Well done.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 AM

What a wonderful story. I'm sure she had something to do with the boarder. I get help like that all the time from family members that have past. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Its a beautiful quilt no matter how much money was spent and I think Betty was whispering in your ear last night! :-)

I get my best ideas when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. I lay there thinking and creating in my mind.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 AM

I also believe in the hints from beyond. That quilt is great, such a lot of work. Even though you made it a "cheapie" ,today it is precious. Use it all the time, your friend will be hugging you.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I think your friend helped you out last night in your dreams :D:D:D