Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you say, OK not perfect and move on >

when do you say, OK not perfect and move on

when do you say, OK not perfect and move on

Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 AM

I love your blocks. I personally, always say its not perfect and move on. I make my quilts for people, and they are a reflection of me, to them. I am far from perfect and so are my quilts. Perhaps, this stems from where I learned to quilt in the first place. I was taught by someone who believed the often told story regarding Amish quilting and that often a block is created imperfectly to symobolize that only God is perfect. I liked the story (although I think that many people say this is simply a myth). All quilts are created with love, and love is the only perfect ingredient they need.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 AM

I was told if you hold the quilt up and can't see anything wrong with it from the road, then the quilt is just perfect. My quilting buddies said this. LOL! After doing a Lone Star I finally agreed with them.

Verna2197
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Love your blocks. They look great to me. :-D
Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 AM

you might have made mistakes but I see none. All I see is the cute faces of the flower and the sunshine...I like it I think it is going to be nice and anyone who will get it will love it. If not I will take it..HA HA HA
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 AM

All the time. Life is short.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Every block I make?!
I think your block shown will work fine...make them all, then find the one that when trimmed will be the smallest....trim & measure it...trim all the rest to that size, walah! Perfect quilt.
Once assembled, before you put a border on, check for square, trim, if needed.
HINT: When you are ready to apply a border, don't just sew a long strip on and trim it. Do this:
Measure the width (or length) in three places (near the middle, and each end of the width & length of the top), add those three measurements together & then divide by three...that's the length to cut that border piece...you may have to stretch the border or the quilt top to ease in any little bit of fullness...but you will end up with a border that is not waving at every angle!

The above is from several quilt teachers (well known quilter's...the pros), not just from me...but it works for me every time. I use it also when I want to surround each block with a strip of color....no more D cups in the middle of the quilt!

Originally Posted by chairjogger
I have a three seam quilt block. Have ripped out 9 seams! Hah!
got the rotation finally. and ripped out the one that works, to use as an example..
My seam ripper is dull ! hah!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM

That is a "neat" pattern. It looks great to me!!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
I let go of perfect when I'm darn good and ready to. I find that comes earlier with each quilt!
I'm with you.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 AM

I am far from perfect, I will always wish for those perfect seams and matching corners.. alas it is not so. My quilts are only made for family and myself. My only wish is that they are loved, which so far that's all I hear from those I have given them to. I make mine to be loved and used. They won't be in any show or museum.
I learned if you can't see it from riding by on a galloping horse it is ok.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Do you want the truth Ellen? About 99% of the time! I move on because otherwise I would not get any projects done.

I have found that by moving on, I have learned things I didn't know before (some kind of a light bulb goes off in my head, I guess) AND I have begun to improve on the first attempt.

So far, I haven't planned to be a part of any contests. Maybe this is how great quilting stars begin to shine also. :shock: Could there be hope for us??? Maybe!

:lol: :lol: :lol: