Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When do you stop? >
  • When do you stop?

• When do you stop?

Old 05-08-2023, 01:45 PM
    Gay

Default When do you stop?

I have been working on this scrap quilt (no scraps over 5" btw) since last year and have produced a top of 55x55" so far. There doesn't seem to be much of a dent in the scrap container, and I have other containers of larger pieces and strips not yet touched. Some videos show making these blocks in no time, whereas mine seem to take at least more than an hour, which is why it's a now and again project. If I make this to fit a bed, will I want to make another? or just throw the rest out.
    How many "crumb" quilts have you made and will you make another? Sorry if these are a bit fuzzy.

Attached Thumbnails scrappy-1.jpg   scrappy-1a.jpg  
    Old 05-08-2023, 01:54 PM

Yours are beautiful! These are great mindless blocks to make in between other more intensive projects for me. I aspire to use them for crazy quilting stitch practice.

If it is driving you crazy, don't agonize over it. Take your scraps to a guild meeting for someone else to enjoy. Turn this current project into lap quilts if you don't want to stick it on the backburner to make additional blocks. If it isn't fun, don't do it now. Save the project for later and then decide if you want to donate it somewhere.
    Old 05-08-2023, 02:47 PM

I’m not sure how many I’ve made, but I will make more. I think my ‘crumbs’ were smaller than yours. I don’t think any of mine were wider that 2.25 inch, but some were longer. I know I’ve made at least two QOV one with a star sashing in between blocks and one with a row of pillow panels inserted. I really liked that one. I would make it bigger though, if I were you. I like the colors
    Old 05-08-2023, 02:52 PM
    Power Poster

I have made a bunch of scrap quilts and my scrap bins seem just as full! I stop when it seems "big enough" or I get tired of working on it.
    Old 05-08-2023, 03:01 PM
    Power Poster

I just made a scrap quilt of 2.5 inch squares with 1.5 inch sashings. I used blocks 6 across and 6 down I believe. I liked working on it when I just wanted something easy and mindless. My youngest son loved it so I finished it and gave it to him.
    However, I still have tons of scraps! I have a hard time keeping them because they drive me crazy being all over my sewing room. I give a lot of them to charity.
    By the way- I love yours!
    Old 05-08-2023, 03:38 PM

Also, don't forget, you can make a border all around to enlarge it, if you're tired of making blocks. However, I personally like a quilt longer than wide and long enough to cover feet and shoulders, if throw size so you may want to add some to the length. Just my suggestions....remember you asked-lol
    Old 05-08-2023, 04:44 PM
    Power Poster

Pretty top! I do scrap quilts but not crumb quilts.
    Old 05-08-2023, 05:23 PM

IMHO; scrap quilts are a bottomless pit. One I enjoy being in from time to time.
    Old 05-08-2023, 08:06 PM

I’ve never done a crumb quilt but I think I’d enjoy it. I have lots of scraps I could use.
    Old 05-09-2023, 04:02 AM

My Dear, Stop when you want or when your tired of it! You have such a lovely blend of colors! They are so soft and light with a few others to just pop! well balanced. I find that crumb quilts really don't make much of a dent in my scrap bin. I tried going about it in a different way. As I make a quilt and create scraps, I turn the scraps into blocks immediately. Benefits.... the colors play nicely together and they scraps never go into the scrap bin! Ta-Da a win!