Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you stop using a walking foot >

when do you stop using a walking foot

when do you stop using a walking foot

Old 09-18-2015, 01:44 PM

Default when do you stop using a walking foot

I see some videos and instructions where the person sewing does not use a walking foot on their quilt. The layers are all put together, and I assume they are sewn together. But the instructions/videos show a regular foot on the sewing machine to sew the binding and/or on the quilt itself. At what point is the walking foot no longer required? If I have sewn the quilt layers together by stitching in the ditch, can I then switch to a regular foot to sew whatever else I want to put on the quilt, maybe some decorative stitches? Did I make myself clear? The quilt layers are already sewn together and I just want to add some decorative stitching. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:50 PM

Most walking feet are designed to be used going forward only. Viking has one that can be used on their machines with decorative stitches. I'm not sure if other brands do also. I use it to apply binding. I find it easier. Whatever works for you!
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM

I would be lost without my walking foot. Three layers of a quilt is when I drag out the walking foot if I am machine quilting a small quilt and when doing binding it is wonderful because there are a lot of layers. The foot helps so the layers do not shift.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 PM

On my Janome, I have used the walking foot for decorative stitches on a quilt. It seemed to work okay. My beautiful new Pfaff 5.0 has built in dual feed and I do not need a walking foot. Best idea--make up a little practice sandwich and try the stitches you want using a regular foot and a walking foot. Last thought is that there might be some info in you sewing machine manual too.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:19 PM

Once my top is pieced, I switch to the walking foot and use it for everything else: quilting and binding. I don't later add decorative stitches after quilting so can't address that, but would think it would be needed anytime you are sewing through the entire quilt layers..
Old 09-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Once my top is pieced, I switch to the walking foot and use it for everything else: quilting and binding. I don't later add decorative stitches after quilting so can't address that, but would think it would be needed anytime you are sewing through the entire quilt layers..
I even use mine for piecing
Old 09-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

I occasionally use my walking foot for straight line quilting but not always. For my binding I use an adjustable zipper foot.

Cari
Old 09-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

When I do strictly straight-line quilting, I use a walking foot and I use it to put on binding. When I combine FMQ with straight stitching, I actually use the FMQ foot to do the straight lines (sometimes using rulers as guides). I think it is personal preference. Walking foot gives me better control and less shift so I use it. It is not a big deal for me to change the foot.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

The problem with adding decirative stitching to a quilted quilt is, you have to use a fairly open decorative stitch or the machine bogs up or the stitching looks funny. The walking foot is usually only meant to walk forward so if you are doing a decorative stitch that needs to move in other directions, use your regular decorative stitch foot.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:42 PM

My main sewing machine has a Dual Feed feature I can engage with designated "D" feet attached. And honestly, I rarely don't have Dual Feed engaged.