Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: When do you unpin your pin basting?

Blog Entries
    I started my quilting on the big mariners compass quilt and have done all the large sections in the ditch. I plan to do the compasses in the ditch also, then do the trapunto with some stippling. When I turn the quilt, I have some fullness inside the large sections..not much and I think it will be taken up perfectly with the additional quilting..however...should I unpin these sections now or unpin as I go (if I need to)? Hope this makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As I go, when the pins get in my way.

Your quilt is very nice.

Great quilt Sandpat.I love compass quilts. I also take the pins out as I go. :D :D :D pam :D :D

As you go is how I do it on my sewing machine.. I want is taught for the stitching

looks great by the way!

I take my pins out as I go, also. I love your quilt!!! :D

Sorry i can't help with that department, i haven't quilted a quilt yet. Just wanted to say love your quilt, very very nice.

That is one cool quilt. And I know that is NOT any easy pattern. You did a great job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now, that is one beautiful quilt----just SPECTACULAR! (sorry, I can't offer advice on your question but just couldn't let it pass without offering my compliment!---)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the compliments...it is coming along. :) I will work on it some more today (hopefully) and try unpinning as I go. I'll let you know how thats working. Thanks!

sandpat - beautiful quilt!

I also unpin as I go. Once I get to a pin, I take it out and I take out any within a handspan that might also be in the way. If I am going to be quilting something where doing a lot of stops and starts would break the flow, I use a water soluble thread to baste the area with. That way I don't have to worry about the thread. It will come out once I block the quilt later. This is a great trick; just remember not to lick the end of the thread when trying to stick it through the eye of the needle. :lol:
    ~Tiffany

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tiffany! I recently discovered the soluable thread...what a great thing..a little pricey, but worth it!

It really is a bit pricey; that's why I only use it for special situations.

Has anyone else discovered that their sewing machine needle gets all gummy when they machine quilt a piece that is basted with the spray? I haven't had too many issues with it leaving a residue on anything when applying it, for which I am most grateful as I spray in the middle of my quilt room! I have noticed the gummy needle problem, that and the needle seems to go dull quicker.
    ~Tiffany

Beautiful quilt...You did a great job...congratulation.. :D :D

Blog Entries
    Thank you ania.

Tiffany, I haven't noticed the gumminess with the spray but I was using a dense 100% cotton backing with the 1 I used it on. Maybe that makes a difference?? I am concerned with the chemicals in the spray basting though and am going to stop using it for anything other than wall hangings. I'm afraid to use it for the kid's quilts that I make for Project Linus...you never know someone might have a reaction of some kind to the spray residue. They say it washes out, but I'd hate to take the chance.....kinda like hard work....they say it won't hurt you...but I DON"T want to chance that either!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi..I belive you wanted to thank to Tiffany about the spray advice....I cannot take this credit..Its all her....
    There are so messages in here that one really get confused...
    By the way, I do agree with you....I try also not to use quemicals....we have too many of them around without even noticing them...and some are very harmfull.....You doing good by trying omitting them...
    Take care ,I really love your quilt...Its amazing...

Ania, you are very sweet but don't worry, I am not one of those who gets upset over things like who gets credit for what. I've learned we quilters all share so many tips and ideas that it is actually hard to sometimes remember exactly where the information comes from. :wink:
    ~Tiffany