Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When making a controlled scrappy quilt......

When making a controlled scrappy quilt......

Is there a certain number of different fabrics you like to use, almost like a formula or your preference? I have used 9 before and that worked out well. Sometimes when there are MANY fabrics, the result looks almost too busy to me. Would appreciate you input/experience. THX

Blog Entries
    I use a colour group for my controlled scrappies. I did one using all browns and creams, and another using blues and purples, they are a little busy but at least I used up my scraps. I still find it difficult to do all out scrappy, but the one I did do I am happy with
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t221286.html
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    To me a scrappy quilt isn't a truly a scrappy unless it has many, many fabrics....whether in one color family or several. A blue quilt with, say, 8, or, 9, or 10 fabrics is ....a pretty blue quilt, not a scrappy, in my world.

I'm talking 40/50/60+ fabrics = a scrappy for me!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

When I first started making scrappy quilts I used fewer colors but many different fabrics. Now I use many fabrics and many colors. Take a look at the free patterns and quilt examples on the website Quiltville.com. You'll see lots of examples of scrappy quilts.
    Jean

Once I was watching "Simply Quilts" and the woman was making a scrappy quilt, and she put her scraps in a paper bag, shook it up and used what came out. The only time she would put one back was if it was a piece of the same fabric. So when it comes to scrappy - anything goes.

I'm making controlled scrappy log cabin blocks and I need light and dark fabrics. I use lots of different fabrics. Here's a picture
    Name:  log cabin blocks (390 x 410).jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  64.1 KB
    Eat, quilt, bike, sleep and repeat

I agree with Jan in VA I have a plastic bucket with a lid put everything in there and when it's full I shake it and sew and see what happens - different shapes and size, to be honest it has taken many years to become so 'free' - I just have fun with them

Controlled scrappy I understand. Scrappy formula for fabric placement is an oxymoron to me, at least past the placement of light next to dark. The more different fabrics, the better.

I like scrappy quilts. the more fabrics and color the better.

QM
    I use lots and lots. Like Aneal, what I control is value and color families. I never use the paper bag method. I want to control what goes where. My next scrappy on the plan is RWB, on a pattern of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    To me a scrappy quilt isn't a truly a scrappy unless it has many, many fabrics....whether in one color family or several. A blue quilt with, say, 8, or, 9, or 10 fabrics is ....a pretty blue quilt, not a scrappy, in my world.

Jan in VA
    My thoughts exactly!

To me a scrappy quilt is every color of the rainbow. I don't think of a quilt as 'scrappy' if it looks like I bought the fabric especially for that quilt. I'm working on a quilt for my daughter that has 10 purples in it. It is not a scrappy because it is too planned.
    Why do I keep trying to find the "like" button?

Viking Husqvarna 950 S; Bernina 1150 MDA

The last scrappy quilt I did was for a mystery class. I used 2 Tonga Treats packs of 2-1/2" strips. One had 2 strips each of 23 different colors called Bubble Gum and the other was 2 strips of 23 different beiges for the background. That is the most different fabrics I have ever used in a quilt. The pieced border was made from a layer cake of the same fabrics.

Name:  2013 05 26 Jeremiah's quilt top.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  382.8 KB

Blog Entries

Jan in VA
    Oh yeah, that's the description of my scrappy quilts too!

Jan in VA
    Jan is right MORE the better otherwise I normally go NUTS when the same fabric is too close to itself.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I made a "Tonga Coastal" this spring that had 96 different fabrics. And yet it doesn't really look scrappy because each box has only three fabrics to make the rounds. My scrappy quilts are crumbs or confetti, maybe sewn into blocks with neutral sashing or just all sewn together. Could be 100's of different fabrics.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Jan in VA
    I'm with you, Jan! The only time I "control" the fabrics is when I decide to make one block all blue, or purple, or black and white. Even that isn't very often.

Renate

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    I'm making controlled scrappy log cabin blocks and I need light and dark fabrics. I use lots of different fabrics. Here's a picture
    Name:  log cabin blocks (390 x 410).jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  64.1 KB
    Back to YOUR question...I agree with Anael and Woody, if you want to do a controlled scrappy, just keep the values together but use different prints within it. I DO like a lot of the controlled scrappys, too. Everyone has their preferences!

I am a true scrappy girl. Like Jan said first, the more different fabrics the better. Quiltville changed my world. I've made 14 of her quilts and only one was made with 7 fabrics. That one was a scrappy Trips Around the World. My friend from S. Africa does travel around the world and she saw this fabric when I bought it. So that was her wedding gift. Bonnie does lots of controlled scrappy and I do love them. Here are a few. The one on the end is string blocks which are a blast to make.

Name:  !cid_part1_09040900_08060206@macinhouse.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  320.8 KBName:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  264.5 KBName:  014.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  191.6 KB
    Judi in Ohio

Judi in Ohio, what's the name of your second quilt? I love that! Can I find a free pattern do you think? I love scrappy quilts. I'm such a control freak I think I'll do the bag trick so I don't agonize over what goes where. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
    I am a true scrappy girl. Like Jan said first, the more different fabrics the better. Quiltville changed my world. I've made 14 of her quilts and only one was made with 7 fabrics. That one was a scrappy Trips Around the World. My friend from S. Africa does travel around the world and she saw this fabric when I bought it. So that was her wedding gift. Bonnie does lots of controlled scrappy and I do love them. Here are a few. The one on the end is string blocks which are a blast to make.

Name:  !cid_part1_09040900_08060206@macinhouse.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  320.8 KBName:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  264.5 KBName:  014.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  191.6 KB
    I love these quilts. I have yet to do a scrappy,.

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I use lots and lots. Like Aneal, what I control is value and color families. I never use the paper bag method. I want to control what goes where. My next scrappy on the plan is RWB, on a pattern of my own.
    This is me too. The more fabrics the merrier but I do keep my eye on value and in some projects limited color families. I probably obsess more over block layout than over block making!

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie luv View Post
    I love these quilts. I have yet to do a scrappy,.
    "Try it - You'll like it!" I Love scrappy quilts and have made 6 plus table covers x4. The more color the better.
    Quiltville is and was my inspiration .
    I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    Judi in Ohio, what's the name of your second quilt? I love that! Can I find a free pattern do you think? I love scrappy quilts. I'm such a control freak I think I'll do the bag trick so I don't agonize over what goes where. Thanks!
    That's a triple Irish Chain. Really easy pattern.

I love the look of the triple Irish Chain - definitely going on my to-do list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast