Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When Making a New Quilt, Do You >

When Making a New Quilt, Do You

When Making a New Quilt, Do You

Old 07-09-2011, 04:04 AM

Sample block is well worth it. I have cut all the blocks for a quilt only to find out I had made a mistake in the sizing. It cost me lots of wasted time and fabric to learn this lesson.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 AM

I usually make one block according to the pattern and the fabric I will be using. That way I can see if the block looks the same in real life and it does in my mind. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me and the block looks nothing as I planned. If all is well with block, that is the first block of the quilt. If I don't like the colors or something else about it, I will make changes .....and have often done that. I then use these "mistake" block in a scrappy sort of quilt.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 AM

No, I just start with a few blocks to see how they look. If they look OK and are easy enough, I keep on going.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Test blocks are a great thing if there is a new technique or a funny angle. I made one years ago and went 64 pieces per block for a little kid. I don't think so.

I didn't have anything cut but that one block so I was glad I had tried out the block.

But for techniques and blocks that I recognise as easy and fast, I don't bother.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 AM

It depends on the block. If it looks a bit complicated, I always make a test block or two first. I have a box of test blocks. I use them to make pillows, purses & stuff.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 AM

No-far too indulgent and expensive to do that.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 AM

I almost always make at least one so that the pattern can be checked and then if I decide it's too hard or don't like my color choices, into the box for a sampler quilt when I collect enough blocks.
Brenda
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 AM

I often make a sample block. In fact, I have a whole batch of former sample blocks hanging around! If I don't want to go further, they eventually turn into pot holders.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
If it is a new pattern to me, I try to make a sample block first with scrap fabrics. That way I can find and work out any problem areas before I cut my good fabric. It also lets me know if I am in way over my head (have been there before...lol).
You know... that is a great idea! Why struggle with someone else's (measuring) mistakes and your own precious fabric ?! Though it takes time, it's well worth the "little time" to make sure it "fits".
Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 AM

I still do-- especially on blocks that consist of many pieces and to get a visual on color combinations And if I don't like it then it becomes a block to be added to my collection for a sampler quilt in the future if I need a quick gift