Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to quilt piece with embellishments? >

When to quilt piece with embellishments?

When to quilt piece with embellishments?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 PM

I'd opt for beading, etc after quilting - particularly if i wanted to shadow quilt the elements....but that's just me. Whatever you choose...just seeing what you have already done shows it will be a beautiful tree skirt !!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:06 AM

It is going to be wonderful
Old 09-09-2015, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I would do the beading after. If you accidentally hit one of those beads, it could be disastrous; broken needle, flying bead into the eye of a pet or yourself or some one else. You could mark around where the beading will be with some marking chalk or repositionable tape.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 AM

If it was me I'd wait until after it is quilted before adding any 'raised' embellishments like beads, bells, charms or metallic threads. Your work is lovely!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 AM

Ok.....I thought y'all had my back!!! Did no one notice, or are you just too kind to say anything, that my sleigh section is on a different color background??? I sort of noticed it yesterday, but I thought it was just the light. Well, today, in the bright daylight, I see that it is NOT the same fabric! I just spent a panic-filled hour searching my stash, which really isn't that large, for the rest of my Fairy Frost fabric! Finally found it, all neatly folded in a plastic bag, that had slipped behind some shelves! I will wait until I have all of the sections made, and if it bugs me, I will just have to remake that section....or carefully cut out the applique work and applique it on to a new background and make it look like I intended it that way! Geesh. I will blame my poor vision....procrastinating on a much needed corneal transplant. Maybe it's time!!!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I did notice that one panel was a different color - but I thought maybe you were going for varied background fabrics -
Old 09-10-2015, 03:05 AM

Lol....no, not varied backgrounds....well, not on purpose! I will definitely redo the panel....it would bug me forever!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:25 AM

I see everyone seems to be more in favor of embellishing after quilting but......I am just finishing up a holiday snowman table runner that I have already quilted. Last night I went to add the little wooden carrot nose and button eyes and found out it's a real chore to get behind it and knot it without anything showing.....and this is only 3 pieces !!! I can't imaginer trying to bead something after quilting.... Although my entire snowman is quilted, so if your quilting isn't too close to where you're beading will be, you'll probably have better success. Good luck !!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:42 AM

Jeannie, I would LOVE to see your table runner! Sounds adorable!
I am thinking I may try to quilt just the top and batting.....maybe put a thin muslin on the back of the batting to prevent it catching...then do the embellishing....then add a backing and bind it. Maybe add some felt snowflakes that are attached through all the layers to anchor the backing? I don't want all of the knots/stitches on the back of the skirt, and I don't know how to accomplish beading without having the stitches show on the back.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:46 AM

I agree that you should hold off on the beading till after the quilting is done. But with patience and care I think you can get pretty close to the edge of the sleigh without messing up the beading. Love your skirt!!