Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When Scraps Attack!!!!! >

When Scraps Attack!!!!!

When Scraps Attack!!!!!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Good for you for donating something that, when not "getting to it", may be an agitation. :thumbup: I dropped the local daily newspaper, because I wasn't "getting to it" everyday and they were piling up, and seeing them piling up was stressful.

The older I get, the less time there seems to be in a day.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM

I applaud your creativity in dealing with your stress. Sometimes I think it's easier to ask someone else to do something that is very difficult for you.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM

I just bought 3 Walmart regular size sacks of scraps at a local thrift store and there were some good scraps in there from a quilter. I say quilter because there was a block pieced in a log cabin style, a lot of pieces cut for certain quilt p atterns, even some pieced strips that looked like they were going to make a Trip Around the World quilt. I only paid 25 cents per sack and got quite a bargain. Most of the fabrics were colors I liked as well. If I hadn't liked them, I might not think it was a bargain.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM

I think you did a great thing.... just imagine the person that get's to "dig" through all those scraps.... she/he is in scrap heaven...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

You did a great thing.. Someone will be blessed with your donation.. I did the same thing.. I decided that I had fabric that I wouldn't use but someone out there might.. I had three trash bags, loaded my car and donated to a thrift store that all proceeds to go an orphanage.. How can anyone feel guilty about that..

You did a good thing, for you and for another whom you've blessed..

I know some here on the board would love them as well... You could help fellow members and make a lil money back if you sell it here on the board..
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 PM

You did the right thing. Now give yourself a pat on the back and go rub some more. ;-) :-D
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 PM

What you did was fine...

Don't let some sort of guilt overtake you. It is your life, your house, your closet. You can do with the scraps what you like.

But a hint for the future. Fill up a bag (one of them), post on here under for sale (cheap--like $5), or donations and I'll bet it will be gone before nightfall. Someone who lives near you will probably get a speeding ticket coming over to relieve you of your scraps.

:)

We don't all have to enjoy doing scrap quilts. Think how boring life would be if we were all the same!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 PM

You made a very good choice. Just remember, sew, sew, sew and your scraps will be replenished in no time. Happy quilting!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 PM

If it wasn't for people like you parting with your scraps, people like me would never make things like this:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120444-1.htm
(all scraps)

so I, for one, thank you very very much
:)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
I've read much here about what to do with scraps. I've considered many of your ideas and even set out plans to implement many of them - sadly I've never followed through and the scraps just kept multiplying.

My anti-depressant of choice has always be to spend time "rubbing cotton", occasionally bolstered by a period of time on Prozac. At a particularly low point, I was completely overwhelmed by the garbage bags of scraps stored in what was once a linen closet. I had no idea what was in the bags and I couldn't take it any longer.

I called a friend and set a time for lunch and a movie (my treat). I then called my son and asked him to come over and bring his truck. When he arrived I told him a friend was coming to pick me up. He was instructed to wait until we left, then to go into the linen closet and take out all the white garbage bags and carry them to the Goodwill and deposit them in the donation dumpster. He was to never speak of this in my presence, for fear of triggering a complete meltdown over what I had done.

I have hesitated sharing this for fear of ridicule from you ladies, whom I respect so much. However, I feel the need to seek so validation for my actions. Upon reflection, I've taken comfort in the possibility that my scraps may have found a loving home in someone else's closet or perhaps even in a quilt or wall hanging. This is a far better fate than ending up in the city dump, isn't it?
What are your thoughts and is there forgiveness in my future?
I'm beginning to ramble, perhaps it's time to go rub some cotton.
You don't need forgiveness, because you have nothing to apologize for. Your method of dealing with your "monsters" worked for you, so there is nothing wrong with it. Another bright side to this...you've regained a closet! If you ever have another build-up of scraps, don't wait for a full closet; put a notice out on the board. There's plenty of us who would be willing to buy them from your directly.