Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is it time to replace rulers? >

When is it time to replace rulers?

When is it time to replace rulers?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 AM

I've had my 6"x18" ruler for about a year and a half and I use it a lot. I've noticed little nicks in the edges from my rotary cutter and the rotary cutter gets caught in them once in a while. Is there a quick fix for this or should I just replace it?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Jennifer, it could probably be sanded but I would not suggest doing that as it would no longer be true and your measurements would be off. I would look for a coupon and replace it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Yep, It is time to replace it. Grab your 50% coupon and head to JoAnns.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM

I agree,a new ruler is in order.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM

When I first started I had a 12 1/2 ruler that ended up with rounded corners and ++ chips I had to replace it. I have taken it to our workshops just to show our new quilters what not to do with rulers.I made quilted bags for transporting my rulers now and am not so slap happy with them.Lesson learned :) :)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
When I first started I had a 12 1/2 ruler that ended up with rounded corners and ++ chips I had to replace it. I have taken it to our workshops just to show our new quilters what not to do with rulers.I made quilted bags for transporting my rulers now and am not so slap happy with them.Lesson learned :) :)
I had a fairly new 6x24 ruler last winter when we went to Az. First time to get together with quilting friends in club house. I had everything on a luggage carrier, with the wheels. I proped the ruler on back and when I went to tip to pull, guess what happened? You are right, it slid down and when I tipped I heard a crack. my ruler was in two...Took my plexiglas blade and cut the end off. Now I also have a 6x15" ruler. Lesson learned.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

It's time for a new ruler when I find one on a clearance sale. I can't pass up a good ruler buy.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Set the edge of the ruler on a level table or counter. Squat down and look at the edge -- does it meet the counter top 100%??? even a little curve to it will cause your cuts to be untrue. I kept having problems, and DH did that. I was amazed how much I'd cut out of the ruler!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
I've had my 6"x18" ruler for about a year and a half and I use it a lot. I've noticed little nicks in the edges from my rotary cutter and the rotary cutter gets caught in them once in a while. Is there a quick fix for this or should I just replace it?
Time to replace.. Why spend hours, days months working on a project only to find that the 'ruler' wasn't true to size.. Grrrr.. .. yea just bite the bullet and get you a new one.. You are sooo worth it so go ahead !!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Set the edge of the ruler on a level table or counter. Squat down and look at the edge -- does it meet the counter top 100%??? even a little curve to it will cause your cuts to be untrue. I kept having problems, and DH did that. I was amazed how much I'd cut out of the ruler!!!!
It does wear down eventually - I finally did that, too, when I kept getting curved cuts !