Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you hand quilt, what are you thinking in your deep thought >

When you hand quilt, what are you thinking in your deep thought

When you hand quilt, what are you thinking in your deep thought

Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 AM

All of the above. It depends on what's going on around me, how many of the kids are home and what they're doing, what's going on in my life. It's mostly a meditative exercise, and I daydream. I write sappy historical romance novels, and quilting is a good time for the characters to tell me their story. Also contemplate what deep theological questions my students could possibly throw at me on Sunday and prepare.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene loves Chocolates
where does your mind go....when you hand quilt?

do you dream?

do you get lost in the stitches?

does it relax your soul?

please tell me.

I am learning the blanket stitch, and I think I may have found something to ease my mind....handwork.
I am one of those who cannot just sit and watch tv. I need to have my hands busy, so I have found that hand quilting my table toppers is perfect for me. then I can stop a moment if something on the boob tube demands my full attention and then back to listening and stitching.
:D :-D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM

I'm so glad a took the time to read all the replies. I just received my license to be a Lay Worship Leader for my church and my quilting time for the past winter / spring season has been spent iin discussion with God about my fitness for this call He's been pressing on me for the last 20 years. NOw my quilting time has been spent either praying for my family or building a church service or sermon. Building a quilt seems to go well with constructing a sermon and worship experience... fitting all the pieces together :-)
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM

I spend that time to pray for those I begin thinking about. :-D People along with conversations, etc. always come to mind and it is a good time for me to bring it to God. :-D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 AM

I'm sorry, but when I used to try to hand quilt, all I thought was "ouch!". I've never, & yes, I've tried almost evry one, been able to use a thimble. The hand quilting almost made me give up quilting. That's how I became a piecer, and happily sent them off to help the economy for the LAQ's.
But, even piecing or planning can produce "flow" - that sense of being so caught up in the moment, everything else disappers. It's a good thing.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 AM

If I am making a prayer quilt, I think about the person it is intended for.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Sometimes I sit with my husband while he watches tv and listen to the show, other times I like the quiet and daydream. Also, I think about the person that I am making it for and pray for them. Some quilts have a lot prayers stitched into beacuse my hand quilting is slow. But I enjoy every minute. :)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 AM
nab

I like to have something to keep my hands busy, so I hand stitch or hand quilt, knit, crochet, tat, or whatever when DH and I watch TV together. I also turn on the TV just for the company. My thoughts do drift away to whatever is going on in my world. Hand work does give me peace and contentment.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM

I really don't hand quilt that much but when I did or when I do any kind of needle work my DH will have TV on but I do think about almost everything depending on what is going on in my life. I also have gotten so relaxed that I have dozed off with the needle in my hand. :):):)
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM

After I stick myself way too many times (just kidding) ... I usually listen and sing along with the radio ... oldies/moldies are the best for me. Hopefully the a/c is on so I don't scare all the neighbors!