Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you reach for "light  neutral" batiks... >

When you reach for "light neutral" batiks...

When you reach for "light neutral" batiks...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I'm still learning my way as far as selecting batiks. The Kaufman rep very rarely stops by, but did this fall, and one thing that I noticed was that everything with the same color code (163 sand, for example) plays very nicely together.

The same is true of Hoffman... and I do have their 1895 color fan, but the sample swatches are so small that you really cannot see the "big picture".
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I'm still learning my way as far as selecting batiks. The Kaufman rep very rarely stops by, but did this fall, and one thing that I noticed was that everything with the same color code (163 sand, for example) plays very nicely together.

The same is true of Hoffman... and I do have their 1895 color fan, but the sample swatches are so small that you really cannot see the "big picture".
Kaufman has almost the identical colors as the Hoffman 1895. If I put them side by side you would not know who's was who's. I do hate the small swatches , sometimes there is a color that does not show on the swatch. ... an issue when buying batiks online. This is why purchasing the 1895 types can be safer than some of the multi color prints when looking to create a dark area. The watercolors are a safe predictable batik.... but its the watercolor batiks that have the biggest issue with bleeding. I still want to do a side by side color for color test between the kaufman and Hoffman 1895 to see who's has less bleeding.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Please let us know the result, if you do the test!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Nancy, what is the line in your second set of photos? Definitely worth waiting for!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I am LOOKING and LOOKING for those light batiks. Sat on the computer for hours the other night after running from LQS to LQS. I need 15-25 different lights. Could only find 16. Exactly what you have posted. The watercolors wash out too much. As soon as I get my camera to hook up to the computer I will show you what I am making.
Is it possible that some of these have enough variation that they could qualify as another if you sort your pieces or fussy cut them? Good luck with your project.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM

What about these ones? They're "future" fabrics that won't hit the market until July...
Liked the #4 before and this #2 especially.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
This is also the HARDEST to purchase online, as those subtle shades read differnent, depending on the monitor. It is sometimes hard to distingush a grayish beige , from a warm beige, to a yellowy beige.
You're right about it being hard to get a feel for the color.

Would it be helpful if the item description said, in words, whether it had areas of beige or yellow or icy blue or gray or peach, to help the viewer decide whether the color overall was leaning the right way for their projects?
that kind of description would encourage me to make a purchase still with the understanding that not all perceive color the same way!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Nancy, what is the line in your second set of photos? Definitely worth waiting for!
The first picture on this page is Artisan Batiks Tartans, and the second one on this page is Artisan Batiks Sorrento. Both are not shipping to stores until July.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
The first picture on this page is Artisan Batiks Tartans, and the second one on this page is Artisan Batiks Sorrento. Both are not shipping to stores until July.
Thanks. I can wait...just wanted to add them to my list. :)
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions! I did order the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fabrics I posted pictures of... that gives me two that Kaufman calls "sand" and one that they call "ecru". And I ordered another one they call "straw", plus one of their FQ batik bundles so I can see the color they call "linen". That will give me an idea of what subtle hints of color are in these.