Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where can I buy good plaid fabrics?

Where can I buy good plaid fabrics?

I want to start buying good PLAID fabrics but am having NO luck online. Can anyone suggest a site that has some plaids? Thanks so much in advance.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

If you're going for the "scrappy look" you can find plenty of plaids at the thrift store for a fraction of the price. Just look particularly in the men's clothing section and buy the largest sizes you can get your hands on and cut to fit your needs!
    Deb
    Handle all stressful situations like a dog..... if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

I second the idea of looking at the thrift stores. I like to use a few plaids in most of my scrappy quilts, and like you I have a hard time finding them in quilt stores or online. At Goodwill, I can usually find a few high quality plaid cotton shirts in a good color combo for a planned quilt. Lately I have to check the fiber content more carefully, because I see more and more blends.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    I bought over 20 Homespun plaids from fabric.com. They were great.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I agree with the posters that recommended thrift stores. On sale days, or markdown days I can get a men's shirt for $1 or less and get 1 1/2 - 2 yards of fabric out of a long sleeve shirt, depending on the size. I am vey picky about the shirts I choose to put into my stash, but there are some made from very high quality fabrics! I have nice plaids and wonderful stripes!

Blog Entries
    I've seen some beautiful plaids out there. I bet you can find some at yard sales or estate sales if you like to go to those. Good luck!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I got some reasonable homespuns from jubilee.com.

Yep, fabric.com

Also might try this search engine to see what you can find http://www.quiltshops.com/

good luck