Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where can I find this quilting tool? >

Where can I find this quilting tool?

Where can I find this quilting tool?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I have all the June Taylor rulers (Shape Cut) and absolutely love them. I find them invaluable.
Great for you. I find them outrageously priced and not something I want to spend my money on. We need cat food and toilet paper around here. :D
Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 AM

I have the JT Shape Cut Pro and just love it. Yes, it is pricey, but if you cut alot of 2 1/2 inch strips it sure makes it quicker, plus it is accurate.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by spiffy
I was just watching Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day program. She was putting together her American Barns quilt with a checkerboard border. She was using a wonderful strip quilting tool that I love. I've spent a lot of time online looking for it, but can't find it anywhere.

It was a large sheet with slots 2 1/2 inches apart. You could cut accurate 2 1/2 in strips in just seconds with this ruler, template, cutting tool or whatever it's called. It looked like the measurements were 24x24.

I found something similar on the Quilt in Day website:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1884
but I know what Eleanor used was larger because she folded her fabric in half and was able to cut the entire length of fabric and it was also square.

While I was looking I also found this great resource:
http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...ndexRulers.php

I hope someone knows where to find this because it would certainly save a lot of time while ensuring accuracy. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I just purchased it on-line from JoAnn's using a 50% off coupon. I still paid 30 something, but it was worth it to me to be able to cut perfect 2 1/2" strips. I love the June Taylor rulers and have several of them. This ruler is really large and comes in a cardboard container which is great for storing it. I highly recommend getting it.

I was wasting so much fabric because the regular rulers always slipped on me. It should pay for itself in no time at all (possibly in less than two projects).
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM

A few weeks ago I bought one at Joans it was not with the fons & poter sp? it was over by the sewing machines and it works great.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 AM

I'm so glad I responded to this question because somebody sent the link for the tutorial, I watched it and went right out to my fabric and spent the afternoon using it. I LOVE IT! What a time saver and so accurate in the cutting. Thank you, I'm doing the happy dance. :D
Old 04-09-2011, 03:18 AM

I have one - the 12x12 - June Tailor. I haven't used it yet, but I will be making 2-1/2" cuts for my sashing soon and know it will work great. Time saving also. I got mine at JoAnn's with the 50% off. Even if I don't use it all that much, it is a good thing to have on hand, and if you bought it with 50% off, it still is a good investment, especially with the sashing for a quilt - very important piece of quilting apparatus, I would say.

Edie
Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 AM

"June Tailor Shape Cut". It's 18" square with slots every 1/2", making it possible to cut strips of any width. I got mine a couple of years ago at walmart in quilting notions area. I think you can find them in Joann, Hancock, or most other shops.
Good Luck - By the way, I know a lot of quilters love to use them, but I hardly ever use mine - old habits die hard. I bought it after seeing Eleanor Burns use it on Alex Anderson's show.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 AM

I have one and I find the ruler is hard to keep from sliding. I have shy aware from using it because I do not trust the accuracy.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:47 AM
JAK

I purchased mine at Jo-Ann Fabric. If I recall they had different sizes. It is very handy when making sashes/borders.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 AM

I love mine. Use it for almost all my cutting - can't imagine going back to the regular ruler.