Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Where did you learn quilt show applique skills? >
  • Where did you learn quilt show applique skills?

• Where did you learn quilt show applique skills?

Old 05-25-2024, 03:52 PM

Default Where did you learn quilt show applique skills?

Hi everyone,

I have been searching everywhere I can think of to find where I can learn intermediate and advanced appliqué skills, machine focused. There are hundreds of books, classes, blogs, you tubes, etc. that cover basic appliqué techniques very well. However, I am at a loss on how to get past the “entry” level. Even the classes at my local quilt guild and stores are set up for beginners, ditto Craftsy.

For all you advanced appliquéists, where did you learn the techniques so that you would not be embarrassed to enter (gasp!) a quilt show?

All replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-25-2024, 05:34 PM
    Power Poster

Never be embarrassed to enter a quilt in a show. I entered my first try at applique in a local show. I though well if someone see it they may think if that can be entered I know my quilt can be too. LOL The judge was critical of my stitching but loved the design and color. I was okay with that. Seeing the quilt hung with all the other quilt made it look much nicer then I could see it. For advance applique classes your best bet would be at a big quilt show like Houston, or any AQS shows. Zoom classes are wonderful if you can't travel.
    Honestly I don't think there is any trick to sewing excellent applique. Learn the basic steps, do a lot of applique, and be comfortable with making mistakes.
    Old 05-25-2024, 05:44 PM

Try this DVD trailer first, and maybe there are hints for machine work to be gleaned from the hand instructions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te53zI_gMEw
    Old 05-25-2024, 05:48 PM
    Power Poster

I think the real answer is practice, practice, practice.

And I agree with Onebyone. Don't hesitate to enter a quilt in a show. Start with local shows (guilds and fairs), and as your skill progresses, enter larger shows.
    Old 05-25-2024, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

It depends on what kind of appliqué you want to do. If you want to become proficient at needle turn appliqué, then start with a small project and practice. There is also fused appliqué, if needle turn is not your thing. There is apliquick by Kathy K. Wylie that uses tools and glue I believe to prepare the shapes for appliqué. Find a method that you enjoy.
    Old 05-26-2024, 03:12 AM

Like FMQing, there is no replacement for practice. The more you do, the more tricks that you teach yourself!
    Old 05-26-2024, 07:32 AM

I’ve taken local classes, AQS classes and have lots of books. Have totally enjoyed it all. Love to play with the big girls. It’s thrilling to take a class from someone who just won $20,000 for her work. Now there are SO many videos and online classes. Joining a group that sits and sews all day is big. I would do all my prep work to be ready to sew in group. Or put on a good movie. Love the old black and white movies. Don’t be afraid to try different needles. My fingers are very needle specific. Get a good sewing light. Buy a nice thimble.
    Old 05-26-2024, 07:59 AM

Myself, I suck at applique. However, I've had two different friends/quilt group members who were masters of their craft and were willing to give me pointers and help for my limited efforts. One had a more modern pictorial style and used invisible nylon-type thread and the teeniest stitches by machine. The other did hand applique of all styles but was particularly fond of the more folk art/primitive style. She could do either big stitch or close to invisible and preferred to work with silk thread. Both of them won many awards and were self taught and believed in practice practice practice.

In addition to just asking/hanging out with people better than you, I think looking close at winning quilts can teach you a lot on how to do good curves, how to end lines etc. Of course, if you get a chance to take a class by a master that helps too, but not all of us are geographically or monetarily blessed.
    Old 05-26-2024, 09:08 AM

At my very first retreat I sat next to a woman who was working on a beautiful hand-appliqued piece. I stopped and just watched her for several minutes, then started asking questions. She was more than happy to explain and demonstrate her technique, which was the freezer-paper-and-starch method. I practiced this method for a while, then moved to using Templar heat-resistant plastic and starch.
    I suggest trying different techniques until you find the one that clicks for you, then practice it.

Also - IMO, Yoko Saito is a master at hand applique. I took a class from her in Houston several years ago, she showed us (among other techniques) how she makes super skinny hand-appliqued vines. I tried her technique and holy cow, I can make beautiful vines and anything else skinny, as narrow as 1/8th of an inch. There are several videos of her on YouTube, I highly recommend you check them out.
    Old 05-26-2024, 01:27 PM

applique was my passion before I startedlosing my sight. I honed my techniques early with one of Georgia Bonsteel's series, I think she showed 8 or 11 different ways.
    Starch and press was my favorite, takes awhile to prep, the the applique, but the hand or machine goes like wildfire.
    fusiable is my least favorite, threads always show up after washing.
    Did Dutch Treat all back basting, still hated the technique when finished
    Have a whole garden quilt done Eleanor Burns way with the light interfacing, then you turn it. Gorgeous, but I doubt it will ever be quilted, they are just too thick
    edited to add: Diane Gaudynski was an early winner at AQS for machine applique, I think the n ame of the quilt was Butternut. I learned a lot from her about using the buttonhole machine stitch to good effect, and did all my Maggie Walker Chickens using that technique.

As said above, whatever you do, it takes practice to do it well.
    Attached Thumbnails chickens-machine-2.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 05-26-2024 at 01:32 PM.