Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where Do You Find Ideas for Quilts?

I am in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at the 2010 Hot Air Balloon Fiesta. This morning as 300+ balloons were launched I not only enjoyed the color combinations, but also spent my time thinking how the patterns could be translated into quilts. Just an added bonus to the Fiesta. What gives you ideas for quilt patterns?

hot air balloons
    Name:  Attachment-94020.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  19.7 KB

I never know when I'll see something that will give me an idea for a quilt. It might be a bit of scenery, the tile in a convenience store bathroom, someone's jewelry, a picture in a book...

Remember that movie "I see dead people" My new saying is I" see quilt blocks." Every where I look i see colors shapes and the possiblity of a block or quilt. I love how quilting has taking my creativity to a whole new level.

Everywhere...lol. My daughter was playing a game on facebook and she was decorating the floor and it was so pretty, I drew it on paper and colored it in with my son's crayons and stuck it in my "someday I will make all this" folder.

I get patterns from books and magazines, then change the size of the blocks and/or the colors.

Most of my ideas come from pictures of antique wholecloth quilts in books, magazines or the internet. I'm very inspired by these quilts and I love to use the old patterns. This is my way to keep a tradition alive!

Edie
    Have you seen David Taylor's quilt "Up, Up and Away?"
    He must have been inspired by a similar sight. Check this out:
    http://www.davidtaylorquilts.com/gallery.html

Farm fields with wheat, corn and paths. Hills and rivers. guess I must be a naturalist at heart.
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful photo. My inspiration comes from a pattern someone has already created. Seeing and reading about their creation on the quiltingboard has increased my to do list.

Blog Entries
    Edieclay the hot air balloons would make a fantastic colored quilt,

maybe Walmart still has that fabric??!

As for patterns, like someone said , look around and you can find them, I couldn't believe it but like someone wearing a colorful shirt, or a skirt, at church theres a design on the carpet that is awesome, and in the hallway on the wall theres a design for triangles, connected, I copied that but haven't tried my hand at making yet. online there are many patterns, and can find in books too.
    enjoy!

I have been using old greating cards that inspired me. Have 4 grocery bags full of them and some are so neat for making quilts. They make great applique patterns. Most of the cards are from the 1930's to the 1950's.

Just a walk thru a fabric store and I am inspired for a new quilt...Or I see one on paper and I try to recreate it on draft paper...then twist the blocks around to suit me. It is wonderfu to be able to create something beautiful as well as useful.

Hi there,I live in Rio Rancho a suburb of Albuquerque.
    If you are interested in quilting fabric with our balloon theme please check with Southwest Decoratives at:
    5711 Carmel Ave.NE 87113 here in Albuquerque.They are the friendliest people in the world .My daughter and I are taking classes there and enjoy it so much.I'm sure they can help or make suggestions for your needs.Good Luck

Lately, my inspirations come form all of the beautiful pictures of quilts posted on this board. The pictures really make me want to try new designs and techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    Edie
    Have you seen David Taylor's quilt "Up, Up and Away?"
    He must have been inspired by a similar sight. Check this out:
    http://www.davidtaylorquilts.com/gallery.html
    No, I had never seen that quilt before. I have some photos that look just like that quilt. Did you see the price tag on his quilt ... $12,000? I did see some cute wall hangings of balloons at the Fiesta and one gorgeous quilt. It is amazing where we get our ideas!

Thanks so much for all your comments ... we get our inspiration from many different ways!

Quote Originally Posted by nancy42
    Hi there,I live in Rio Rancho a suburb of Albuquerque.
    If you are interested in quilting fabric with our balloon theme please check with Southwest Decoratives at:
    5711 Carmel Ave.NE 87113 here in Albuquerque.They are the friendliest people in the world .My daughter and I are taking classes there and enjoy it so much.I'm sure they can help or make suggestions for your needs.Good Luck
    Nancy, thanks for the suggestion. I will try to go there tomorrow. We are going to Santa Fe Tuesday, then heading back to home in Ten Mile, Tennessee ... Thanks so much! I'll tell them you sent me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Bathroom tile floors and other tile patterns. Boring conversations let my mind wander.

ok ,ask for Debbie.She is our instructor.She is awesome.

Blog Entries
    i see new to become quilts everywhere i look! seems like every tree, bird, lake, car, store...everything could become a quilt :)

As a "slight" beginner in quilting, I tend to do a google image search for a specific idea in quilting. Example: victorian quilt. Note* I am gravitating toward Bing's image search now. I just get ideas from the pictures and then make it my own. But, I have found that a quilt Always takes it's own direction if you let it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by nancy42
    ok ,ask for Debbie.She is our instructor.She is awesome.
    Visited Southwest Decoratives Quilt Shop this morning. Oh my goodness, what an incredible shop. I bought balloon fabric to make a tote bag, FOUR kits, and some tools. They were very glad I came in. I told them you sent me. I also got on their mailing list. I loved the shop ... I was glad to hear that I can shop via Web. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sound like you had a Great Time Cool !!

Inspiration hits all over the place, and makes this fun, somthing could be a pain to figure out how to make it work, but thats part of the fun too.
    Happy Quilting !!

Edie I'm so glad you had a good time.I told you they would treat you right. They are all terrific people.
    I hope you have a very safe trip home,comeback and visit the area soon.Maybe we can meet. I would like to stay in touch if you would like. Take care,Nancy

I LIVE in Rio Ranch, NM just up the hill from Albq! Glad you are enjoying your visit. Hope you will be here to see the special shape mass asscc on Friday...I think it's Friday. That is REALLY amazing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast