Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where do you get a large cutting mar

Where do you get a large cutting mar

Would like a fairly large mat that will fit a folding table. Maybe 48x72 or so. Has any one seen these? Thanks

I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I use two mats on the cutting table. They fit side by side and can be moved if needed. I line up the measurements and add some painters tape underneath. The tape keeps them in line. Generally, I'm not cutting more than across the WOF (approx 22 inches) so this works for me.

Be sure to check the marking lines as they vary between brands. Some are more user friendly. Some brands are short on the 24 side of mat.

33x58 and I got it at Joanne’s with a coupon. Fits perfectly on an old Formica table downstairs.

Love my Martelli and they are having 50% off sale.

I got a large one from Joann's. I used a 50% off coupon and it was very reasonable.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

www.bigmatrotarycuttingsurface.com Click on the big mat store and scroll down until you see a listing of different sizes. Think it comes with a 5-year warranty. Mine did. I had a 36x60 mat from JoAnn's years ago, but I found the rotary blades got dull quickly and had to be replaced more frequently. I switched to the big mat a few years ago. No regrets there.

I have the Olfa green ones (3) that fit together with clips. I've had them for years and usually don't even put all three on the table at once.

I have the 24 x 36 Quilter's Select mat on top of a Sullivan's 33 x 58 mat and a smaller mat on top of those. I don't need the big mat that much so use the smaller mats on top of it. I also have the Martelli Roundabout on one end of the table. I have Fiskars, Joanns, Olfa, Polar, and Omnigrid mats of all sizes. I really like he Omnigrid because it has no grid lines. It has the Fons and Porter's brand on it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Cutting mat

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwroses View Post
    Would like a fairly large mat that will fit a folding table. Maybe 48x72 or so. Has any one seen these? Thanks
    I grew not cheap but I got mine at Jo-Ann’s. Coupon and total purchase made it reasonable

Blog Entries
    I got a large one in brand new condition at a garage sale for $5.00! My best garage sale find!

I got a big one from Amazon
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Amazon has cutting mats marketed for architects, for way less money than the ones marketed to quilters. I took a chance and bought one. Mine is 24”x36”, but is not the largest I found there. Mine is two sided, which I love (who doesn’t like two for one?). It is so much better than the old blue plastic one I had. When I bought mine I had a choice of black with green reverse, or blue with pink on the back. I have the blue and pink.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    I use two mats on the cutting table. They fit side by side and can be moved if needed. I line up the measurements and add some painters tape underneath. The tape keeps them in line. Generally, I'm not cutting more than across the WOF (approx 22 inches) so this works for me.

Be sure to check the marking lines as they vary between brands. Some are more user friendly. Some brands are short on the 24 side of mat.
    This is what I do also and it works fine.

JoAnns on-line is the best deal you'll find. They are 40 x 72" and right now are 50% off which is $70.00. This size is not in the stores.

I just buy the Olfa 24 x 36" that Walmart sells. They work great for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    I have the Olfa green ones (3) that fit together with clips. I've had them for years and usually don't even put all three on the table at once.
    I recently bought these as well and just started using them. I find it surprising that I’ve already hit the crack with my rotary cutter blade, between two mats twice already!! Other than that, they’re great and are 72” wide when put together. I picked mine up on Amazon.com.

I have a 40x70 mat that I purchased here: http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/2
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Blog Entries
    When I bought my cutting table at Joann's, I also bought the white cutting mat to go with it. Not a good idea. I couldn't figure out why my rotary blades were so dull, even the new ones that I had just bought. Then I figured it out, its not a self healing mat, if I cut something on a spot that hadn't been used, it cut fine, just not where I'd previously cut. Make sure its self healing and yes, they are expensive
    Judy

I ordered mine from Blick (art supplies) and got it with free shipping.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwroses View Post
    Martelli when they are having a 50% off sale! Today is last day and EVERYTHING they have is on sale for 50% off except their longarms……...