Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where do you get your backing material

Red face Where do you get your backing material

Just finished my queen size top and need the backing, I need about 8 1/2 yds. Any suggestions where to get reasonably priced material online. Thank you

Try Marshall's. They have good prices on backing fabric.

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/?gcl...FQFx4Aod7iMAWw

Red face Where do you get your backing material

Just finished my queen size top and need the backing, I need about 8 1/2 yds. Any suggestions where to get reasonably priced material online. Thank you

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I try to pick mine up on the LQS sales tables @50% off. Or I buy extra and make back art (well - sort of).

I use muslin on all my quilts on the backing. It's less expensive and goes with anything.

I have started using muslin again also because it is hard to find anything I like or is any good. m You can buy the real wide 108-120 inches and that way you don't need to buy as much yardage.
    Keep Quilting
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

I usually either buy wide (thousandsofbolts.com often has pretty ones at good prices; also fabricdepot.com, fabric.com, probably others) or piece it out of what I have -- something simple like stripes or big blocks.

Much better to buy a cotton sheet or Marshall Dry Goods for extra wide fabric. Less expensive than buying 44" wide fabric.

It depends on the quilt. If I am having custom quilting done.. and I want to show off the quilting I go with a premium muslin. Jo'ann's has a very nice premium 110 inch wide that I use a coupon . If I want a print I use Thousands of Bolts or Fabric.com. I have had occasion to be disappointed in the wide backing from Fabric.com.. it was very thin and so loosely woven it was just a few threads better than cheesecloth. So if shopping on Fabric.com fro wide backs .. if no manufacture is listed in the description be very cautious.

I have used muslim, and lately have been using sheets due to the cost compared to yardage. I have been looking over my stash and want to try piecing fabrics for backings.

I buy fabric when it is 50% off at the LQS and piece it for the back.