Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Where do you place your sewing machine on the table? >
  • Where do you place your sewing machine on the table?

• Where do you place your sewing machine on the table?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Hi

Here's a link to the one my hubby did. The knee lift isn't fitted in these pics, but he's since fitted it and it's fine.
    The needle is 11" back from the edge of the table for me. I sat so the machine was a comfortable distance and this seems to be ok. Wouldn't want it any further away...and even could be an inch closer maybe, but it's not a problem.
    And no, I don't bump my knees at all.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-76568-1.htm
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM

I have a Brother that embroiders. The embroidering unit has its own computer and attaches onto the machine, also holds the hoops. If I cut a hole in my sewing table so that my machine sewing surface were level with the top of the table I would not be able to attach the embroider unit. Likewise, I would not be able to disengage the part that lets me have a free arm for that type of sewing. Basically I would drastically limit what my machine could do if I cut a hole in the table and sank the machine down a few inches, and I paid a few thousand dollars to have this machine and all it could do.
    Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo
    Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I have my singer in a cabinet my brother is on a table I can Raise or lower. I have a roller chair that fits so my legs are just under both. I can pull the one on the table closer to me which I like better as I am short and see better. I have to bend forward more with the singer which is hard on my back.
    tip your machine forward so you don't have to lean forward so much. Much better to see also. You might have to experiment on how high you lift it in the back. Really like mine that way. less stress.

I have 2 rubber door stops that I sometimes use on the back of my machines to tip them forward. It is so much easier to see your work and much easier on the back, also. Marge L.
    Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Hi

Here's a link to the one my hubby did. The knee lift isn't fitted in these pics, but he's since fitted it and it's fine.
    The needle is 11" back from the edge of the table for me. I sat so the machine was a comfortable distance and this seems to be ok. Wouldn't want it any further away...and even could be an inch closer maybe, but it's not a problem.

That is a beautiful table! Wow. But how do you turn it on and off and plug it in?
    Onmy Janome the plug-ins and the switch are on the lower right side of the machine. That may be a big nono.
    Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM

I am another Bernina owner...and as someone else mentioned, with the knee lift, your machine can only be a few inches from the edge of the table if you are sewing without your machine in a cabinet. When I am sewing in my cabinet, my machine is more like 5" from the edge of the table, and I like that better. Also best to make sure your sewing chair is centered in front of the needle of the machine, not the machine itself. I used to teach classes, and it was may times that I suggested that students moved their chairs to the left so they were centered in front of the needle...and they were amazed at the difference.
    Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew
    Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Hi

That is a beautiful table! Wow. But how do you turn it on and off and plug it in?
    Onmy Janome the plug-ins and the switch are on the lower right side of the machine. That may be a big nono.
    It's not a problem at all to turn on and off...there's plenty of space in the hole hubby cut to put my hand there and switch it on and off. I leave everything plugged into the machine all the time and I just unplug the surge protector from the wall when I've finished sewing. I do switch the machine off first before unplugging the surge protector..lol.
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 AM

I have the Expedit units from IKEA with the desk attachment. I keep the "cubby" next to the desk open - when I am not using the sewing machine it fits just right into that spot.
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
    Originally Posted by amyjo
    Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I have my singer in a cabinet my brother is on a table I can Raise or lower. I have a roller chair that fits so my legs are just under both. I can pull the one on the table closer to me which I like better as I am short and see better. I have to bend forward more with the singer which is hard on my back.
    tip your machine forward so you don't have to lean forward so much. Much better to see also. You might have to experiment on how high you lift it in the back. Really like mine that way. less stress.

I have 2 rubber door stops that I sometimes use on the back of my machines to tip them forward. It is so much easier to see your work and much easier on the back, also. Marge L.
    I am going to try that. I sew at the dining room table. I have my machine very close to the edge just so I can see. I bet this would work wonders.
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 AM

Mine sits in a drop in table
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew
    Do you have something it sits in under the table height so that you have a flat surface?

If so, does your machine sit right at the front edge of the table or set back? Does it bump your knees? How far back should it sit from the edge of the table?

I am going to ask DH to cut into the large oak desk I use for my sewing table and make a cutout and shelf for the machine to sit in, but I am not sure how far back it should set from the edge of the table.

Thanks for the ideas!
    I have one of those nice L shaped sewing tables for two machines -- serger and sewing machine. There is a "shelf" that comes up around the machine, but the machine sits too far back for my comfort. So I just leave the shelf down flat and pull my machine in closer to me. I am thinking that I will get some of that thick insulation at the home stores and design a platform around my machine like we've seen on this board. With my old machine (Singer 404) I enjoyed the cabinet because the machine was flush with the tabletop. And I had a knee pedal. Well, anyway, I love my Janome but I'm not comfortable. When I quilt larger quilts, I move my machine to the dining table and that helps to support the weight of the quilt, but it's not like it would be flush with the bed of the machine.