Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Hi,

I kind of went nuts when I first started quilting and bought a Lot of fabric. Mostly floral fabric, lots of it blue. The problem is that I usually only bought like 1 or 2 yard cuts, and never bought more than a piece here or there. Now I don't have much of a chance coordinating it. I want to make some quilts for charity, but after doing a Lot of searching online, it seems like most charities are for kids quilts. I don't have any kid fabric.

I checked with our local nursing home (I live in a small town, so there is only one) and they don't want any quilts. I don't live near any Veteran hospitals or homes.

I guess for now I'll probably see about donating to the nearest Salvation Army, which is about 80 miles away.

Mostly I was wondering if any of you knew of any big charities that give to adults...like project linus, but for adults?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-17-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    Gayle

Do you have a quilt guild any where near by? If so, you might check with them. Our local guild gives lots of "adult" quilts to Habitat houses, homeless shelters, etc. There are many charities that need them and I can just give them to the guild and they can give them to those in need. Guilds will also take fabric donations and their charity group will use it.

What about a teens charity?

Could you buy some solid fabric to match the print and use it? Maybe use 2 or 3 prints with a solid or two. Make a scrappy quilt. That is what quilting is all about.

Is there a women's shelter near you? They take quilts for kids and adults at the one near me.
    And, you might check with the nursing home to see if they have a need for wheel chair quilts. I can't see how they would refuse them, considering how all those elderly ladies sit in their wheel chairs shivering. A flannel back should keep them from sliding off. There are examples on line regarding size.

The Friends of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation would gladly accept your adult-size quilts:
    https://friendsofpineridgereservatio.../donate-goods/
    The need is great and they accept all sizes. You can specify that your quilts go to an *elder*. They also have a need for quilts for adult women that are in shelters due to abuse. They would be pleased if you would consider them. And, just a suggestion, florals are great for teen girls, too!

Project Linus gives quilts up to age 18. Older girls would like flowers. Ryan's Case for Smiles give out pillowcases to kids and flowered fabric would work http://caseforsmiles.org/
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    we give ours to a woman's shelter and to a community home for challenged adults
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I make blocks for this charity below. She is a nurse & gives quilts to families who have loved ones who have been under the care of hospice in the hospital. When the loved one dies, she gives the family the quilt to take home as a loving memory. You could read her story & contact her (Kat) as I know she would love to have donated quilts.

http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com/...d-in-love.html

Are there any dialysis clinics? Our guild donates to a nearby clinic. The ppl who go through dialysis tend to get cold while sitting there. New patients get to choose a quilt and they really appreciate it.

Your county social service office should be able to help you. You live in a climate where there is true winter, so there is always a need for quilts. People are setting up housekeeping all of the time and are in need of bedding. This need is a special problem for 18 year olds who "grow out" of foster care and get their first apartment.

If your area is very rural, the place to start may be with the sheriff's office. They see things that most people don't even know exist in a community, and they work with the social services department on a regular basis.

Our guild supports our local Hospice organization. The family receives the quilt after the person passes.

I donated some to the local fire department

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    check with your local cancer support/foundation as chemo patients often need a quilt while getting treatment (and after). Also, check with the county social services--kids "aging out" of foster care often have literally the clothes on their back and no family support and we give to them in our area.

You could also try this one, I know they can always use the quilts.
    http://www.victoriasquilts.com/
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

I have a lot of 4-inch squares given to me and I make them into 9-patches, sash them and have a friend long-arm them and then I bind them to give to the local Transitional Living center or Women's Shelter for people who have a need for them. The fabric, quilting, batting, backing, and time are all donated. I've made a couple dozen so far. I even make some crib sized.
    Alice the quilter

Blog Entries
    I think donating them to a women's shelter or a place for abused children would be good.. You could do a google search. I also saw on the news about a teen girl that was making and donating quilts to foster kids that would be leaving foster care. when they reach a certain age they are no longer in foster care. I would check that out.

There are lots of great suggestions already posted but I want to encourage you about using up some of the florals, even if you think it may go to a man, blues always seem to be appropriate, especially with solids. I work at a family homeless shelter in Massachusetts and we often receive twin size quilts from our local guild (of which I am a part, so it's pretty cool). Happy sewing!
    Charlie DiSante

My local guild makes adult quilts for women's shelters and organ transplant patients who have longer stays in the hospital. We have a contact person at the hospital who gives the quilts to the patients and she is very conscientious. Chemo patients need lap quilts too, as they are often cold during treatments. You might ask at your local hospitals.

I'd keep my donations Local if at all possible.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-17-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would encourage you to find a spot locally. When you ship you quilts off, you never know how they will be used. Also, local giving eliminates the need to pay shipping and postage. The ideas already given, women's shelters, local health department and Habitat are good starting points. Does your church (or any other organization) raise money with raffles or bazaars? Quilts are appreciated for those functions. I have even donated when a silent auction is being held to raise money for a local person to pay their medical bills due to cancer or an accident.

Blog Entries
    Wow I put
    them in my favorites to donate.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-17-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    The Future is Now!

Lots of good suggestions. Just be sure and check with the charity first. I live in a rural area and a number of years back a quilting group in one of the neighboring towns made small quilts and gave to the sheriff's office to use and after a couple of years most of them ended up in a clothing bank in my town.

Try your local 4-H club. They teach girls to sew, quilt, dressmaking,etc. They would love your fabric. They might be able to use the fabrics for pillows and other homemaking projects.

Blog Entries
    Check with your local Police Dept about an abused women's shelter. They will not give you the address (obvious reasons) but will either deliver them or tell you of the agency that works with them. We have a domestic violence volunteer group that accompanies the police on a call to a home to help take the women and kids out and they usually leave with just the clothes on their backs. (Also, for guilds or groups or scouts to donate bags of toiletries and books or small toys for the kids would be wonderful.)

If there is a dialysis center near you, their patients might appreciate them, or chemo patients really appreciate them during treatment (I have made them for a few friends with cancer)
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast