Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
where was my brain been? >

where was my brain been?

where was my brain been?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Default where was my brain been?

I posted a week or so ago about working on a Storm at Sea made from the batik table toppers from my daughter's wedding. I had figured out that I did not want the sashing (diamond with small block within the block units)doubled because it lost the circular optical illusion. So I increased the number of blocks since there would be less sashing.

THEN I realized that the sashing diamonds were a 1/4" too big and needed to be cut down to fit--AFTER I took the corners off that made them into rectangles.

THEN about 1am last night I finally figured out that when increasing the number of blocks I had totally miscalculated Instead of needing 90 blocks I'd some how come up with 190! So I was scrambling to have enough fabric, sewing like crazy and now have 100 extra block units! Can not believe I was so "off"! But at least it was "in my favor"---so now I have lots of parts for something and am MUCH closer to being ready to put this all together!

Anyone else ever make super blunders? I usually don't screw up my math so much!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 PM

Well, at least you're way ahead of the game for the next one ��

Earlier this week, I could not for the life of me, figure out which half square triangles die I needed if the pattern called for making two from a 4" square. Talk about a DUH moment when I asked on an Accuquilt FB page and was told 3.5" finished half square triangle.

We've all been there . . .live and learn and then go play ��
Old 07-30-2015, 07:57 PM

You are not the only one. Sounds like you have enough for another quilt, though, and that's a good thing!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Gay

Yes, me too. I tried my first DWR - Cheryl Phillips method - but didn't cut all my circles at the same time. Also I wanted the rings pieced, and cut the pieces at different times as well. Eventually got all my rings sewn to the circle backs, but when joining the blocks, I found they were not all the same sizes, and the corner stones where they join were very off, and some too small.

So now I have 42 circles and rings that don't fit, and they just sit. Not sure what to do with them. The rubbish bin seems like a good idea, but can't bring myself to toss them
Old 07-31-2015, 04:32 AM

Oh my gosh, I could tell you stories about my brain for days.lol Any more I just choke it up to my brain and keep on trucking. I am not going to worry about something I can't change.lol Now you have your next project half done,,, that is a good thing
Old 07-31-2015, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I did before I bought a copy of Electric Quilt program
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM

Yes, just made about the same calculation mistake. Was working a a couple baby quilts and needed colored coins to go around the outside of the body with 4+ white sections between. I estimated how many I needed and proceeded to start cutting them from the leftover fabrics. I needed 72 total so divided that by 6........the number of fabrics I had. What I forgot was I had 6 color families with 6 fabrics each so 36 fabrics not 6.............you see where this is going, right???? So I had 6 times x 36 too many 2.5 x 2.5 blocks. So made use of some of them in another baby quilt I was working on. Still have a small plast tote full of this little suckers though. Anyway, they will never go to waste as someday I'll need them in another quilt.........What a DUH moment!!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Could make some matching pillow cases.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:57 AM

This happens to me whenever I'm making flying geese. Once I get going it finally dawns on me that one block equals 4 geese using the ruler from Eleanor Burns.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:13 AM

I even keep a trusty small calculator in my sewing supplies and still I make mistakes. Sometimes the quilting "Gods" aren't on our sides!!