Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where's the ditch....?????

Blog Entries
    I'm attempting to stitch in the ditch on my 1st quilt ( simple squares) and can't force my needle into it. LOL I'd say less than 50% of the stitches have found their way . Does it get any easier? Is the an easier way to do just a simple project?

Blog Entries
    do you have a SITD foot? it has the bar down the center,a little easier to follow! then your needle can be even with it, or to the right of left of the bar, but the bar will ride the seam or ditch..

i have heard from different people that in the ditch, is right on the seam..others say it is actually just left or right of the the "ditch" or seam.

http://quilterpenny.wordpress.com/20...-in-the-ditch/

I solved my SID wandering problem by using an open toe foot..... Yeah, sounds weird doesn't it? Well, what it did for me was to be able to see where I was steering my fabric easier. I also have used a 'joining' foot. This foot has a blade in the middle that follows the 'ditch'. That one made wandering stitches about 20% of the time instead of 90%.....

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    My way is to pick a stitch that is decorative, elongate it, and then you have a little more leeway, going in/out of the ditch :D

Other wise, an open toe foot really comes in handy. I also put one hand on either side of the presser foot, and kind of tug the fabric to open up the ditch area :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I no longer do SID -- too nerve-wracking for me. I think it is *much* easier to quilt gently curving lines using a walking foot. You can even cross-hatch that way.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The ditch is the LOW side of the seam. Your needle runs ALONG the seam. If you press the seam well and spread the seam with your hands - it makes seeing the ditch easier.

I don't have my SITD foot yet. But I use my blind hem foot. The only difference from what I can tell is the blade is longer with the blind hem foot than the SITD foot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    I'm attempting to stitch in the ditch on my 1st quilt ( simple squares) and can't force my needle into it. LOL I'd say less than 50% of the stitches have found their way . Does it get any easier? Is the an easier way to do just a simple project?
    Hey I can hit the ditch every time I cross it! :lol:

I will say that I am getting better at it as I go but I am the meandering type of guy. ;-)

Billy

That made me giggle.

The above reply was for Lostn51.

Had the same problem - solved it the first time by ripping out what I started and hand quilting. After that, my friend showed me an easy way to stitch just outside of the ditch rather than directly in it, and it's a lot harder to see my mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by labbyrobinson
    Had the same problem - solved it the first time by ripping out what I started and hand quilting. After that, my friend showed me an easy way to stitch just outside of the ditch rather than directly in it, and it's a lot harder to see my mistakes.
    I use my walking foot as a guide and echo each side of the seam not quite 1/4" on each side. I can't SID straight for the life of me, it is not only frustrating, but time consuming...especially if you're not happy with the final results. I would spend more time ripping stitches out, so now I just echo my seams.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    try not to go in the ditch and i bet you end up in there! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    The ditch is the LOW side of the seam. Your needle runs ALONG the seam. If you press the seam well and spread the seam with your hands - it makes seeing the ditch easier.
    I was taught SID this way as well. It's the low side of the seam. You can get very close to the actual seam and once stitched the fabric relaxes and the stitch disappears into the ditch.

Blog Entries
    Well guys, Thank you so much for all of your advise. Truthfully I feel I can use bits and pieces of everyones.
    I don't have a sid foot but used a quilting foot....thought that was what you used...oh well. The front of it made it impossible to even see the ditch, let alone get in it. But I have finished it now except for the binding and thankfully I have that mastered. If and when I make another one I will use a wiggley stitch #1 will free motion #2 will become a hand quilter #3. So for this one it's my baby and me and DH will overlook the flaws because it's soooooooo soft and the 6 cats already love it because it's sooooooooo soft. So once again...THANKS to you all. One more question, would washing it help hide anything?

Where you want it to be. LOL
    Seriously, I'm doing just that right now and I know how frustrating it can
    get. You don't need a stitch in the ditch foot. You can use the open toe.
    I know a lot of people say not to look at the needle but I find that's
    what works best for me. Also, slow down at every intersection and
    check if you have to move slightly to the right or to the left to hit the next
    ditch. I guess it all depends how you pressed your seams. I think it's
    easier to SID when all the seams are pressed open. JMHO. Otherwise
    you have to jump at every intersection.
    Finally, use a sharp needle and you won't have any problem going in the ditch.

A walking foot works well. It helps me keep more of the stitches where they should be. It works very well for lines and angels. ;-)

Hmm. An open toe foot would've worked wonders the other day when I was practicing. I couldnt tell where I was until after it was stitched. I couldnt really figure out where the ditch was either. Thanks for asking this question!