Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where's The Real Reference Block Books??

I know they have to exist! Not just a basic block book...the the book w/the block that shows all the names a block could be...make sense?? Since blocks carry names different depending on the areas....is there such a reference book?? I have heard a block could actually have 5 different names, depending on where they are from....Thanks! I'd love to know! Skeat

I have a large paperback called “849 Traditional Patchwork Patterns A Pictorial Handbook” by Susan Winter Mills

It has a block pictured and from one up to 16 variations and names of the same pictured Block

Power Poster
    There is a book compiled by Barbara Brackman called "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns"

Power Poster
    Along with one block having several names, several blocks can be known by the same name. It can get confusing.

I have one called"5500 Quilt Block Designs" by Maggie Malone. It is divided into categories like 9 patch, 16 patch, octagon, diamonds, etc, etc. She used a list of sources for the various names of each block. The only thing I think the book lacks, is applique blocks.

Wow! You all are super!! I am going to check into each of these! I knew they had to exist!!:0)Do you think there are anymore??Thanks!! Skeat

Blog Entries
    I have the software BlockBase. It's suppose to have every block, it's history and all the names of the block. The only problem it's hard to find the block you are looking for without having to sort through most of them. I usually give up before finding the one I'm looking for unless it's a very common one. It's an excellent block program for printing and resizing and I would buy it again.

5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone

Blog Entries
    I have the Brackman encyclopedia. i also have the blockbase software. If i'm trying to find out which block(s) go by a name, the software is the quickest way to look it up. if i'm trying to find out what a block is named, i start browsing through the book.

i'm going to have to get a copy of maggie malone's book, too. i had no idea it was out there.

I JUST looked it up. That sucker is more than $120 new!!! :shock:
    amazon, here i come. :lol:

This is very good information! Thanks for asking Skeat, and thanks everyone for your response. Now I will investigate, too! :D

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    There is a book compiled by Barbara Brackman called "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns"
    I have this one too- it's really great. I think you can get it on amazon.com
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    just thought i'd let ya'll know i found 23 copies of maggie malone's book at amazon. they range in price from $4.61 (low end of used) to $77.61 (new).

brackman's encyclopedia is also there. there are 35 copies ranging from $17.99 (used) to [get this] :shock: $179.32 :shock: (new). (there are a few new copies for lots less. don't know what this clown is smokin'! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    just thought i'd let ya'll know i found 23 copies of maggie malone's book at amazon. they range in price from $4.61 (low end of used) to $77.61 (new).

brackman's encyclopedia is also there. there are 35 copies ranging from $17.99 (used) to [get this] :shock: $179.32 :shock: (new). (there are a few new copies for lots less. don't know what this clown is smokin'! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
    Thanks Patrice!! I've had a crazy 4H week and today is the last day...so, will do some shopp'n in that direction now for sure...prob by tonight!:)LOL Skeat (and, everyone else's too!! I have them penciled down to check into....no one could ever have too many books! Right?!)

hijacking, sorry - someone on this board told me that she thinks ebay is being sold. has anyone else heard this?

Blog Entries
    gee ... i wonder if it'll show up as an auction. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    hijacking, sorry - someone on this board told me that she thinks ebay is being sold. has anyone else heard this?
    If it brings in a new ceo w/some common sense, I'd say great! Since supp. this newer one did all the rule changing to people not being able to say they had a bad buyer or seller and all sales going thru paypal only...argh! Thus why I don't buy there anymore! But, haven't heard the rumor otherwise:)

teehee - good thinkin' patrice

i'll open this up for talk on chit-chat instead if hijacking

Power Poster
    I doubt that there will ever be an absolutely complete compendium of quilt block patterns.

I think that's in the same category as having the most up-to-date computer software.

Someone is always coming up with something new or putting a new twist on something old.

i agree. every time you look online. there's something new.

I doubt that there will ever be an absolutely complete compendium of quilt block patterns.

I think that's in the same category as having the most up-to-date computer software.

Someone is always coming up with something new or putting a new twist on something old.
    That is very true:)But, I only want reference to what has been out there for a long time:)Even though we still see different avenues of the oldies...it would be nice when you read somewhere churn dash....you could have a book to see what that was...or what else our churn dashes here are somewhere else or have been something else...very good point though...thanks Skeat

Power Poster
    I have the Brackman book - and it does a nice job of that

- for example, it lists four different patterns for "Churn Dash"

- the pattern I know as "Variable Star" or "Ohio Star" has five variations shown and about 20 names.

I'm not familiar with the other books mentioned, but I think the Brackman book was worth the money (I bought it new for $34.95)

I have the Brackman book - and it does a nice job of that

- for example, it lists four different patterns for "Churn Dash"

- the pattern I know as "Variable Star" or "Ohio Star" has five variations shown and about 20 names.

I'm not familiar with the other books mentioned, but I think the Brackman book was worth the money (I bought it new for $34.95)
    You are all super and a wealth of info! Thanks! And, if there are any we missed, I sure hope someone points it out too:)Skeat

In the wee early morning hours I looked both of them up in Amazon. When I can, I'm leaning more toward Maggie Malone's book. I got a sneak peek of the Brachman and wasn't as drawn to it.

A new Malone book started at 12.00 plus 3.99 s&h.

I have a book that only has about 248 blocks in it and I've printed oodles of pages off the Internet, stuck in a page saver and put in a binder.

My favorite is "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" by Barbara Brackman. Remember though that many patterns have different names in various parts of the country and during different periods of time.

My son bought a wall hanging in "amish country" and wanted window valances to match. He said the lady who made it called the pattern Twirling Star. The pattern was traditionally named card trick. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast