Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White or cream material for background quilting

White or cream material for background quilting

This has been going on for a while with me. When I check out the solid materials at fabric shops, they feel so thin. Don't like to use thin material for "backgrounds"on the front of quilts. What kind of white and cream solids do you experienced quilters use. Where do you get it?

kona cotton is a nice solid
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

I agree with Pamesue - KONA COTTON!!!! I use it for all my solids when it matters.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Moda Bella solids!

I prefer tone on tone for my creams and whites.

I get any white on white or off white on off white from Wal Mart or anywhere, I just feel it.I haven't run across any thin yet. I don't pay high prices for most of my fabrics. Quality is what I want.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've found that when I buy thin fabric, such as at a local fabric but not quilting store where they sometimes offer it at $1 a yard--too good to pass up--if I wash it, and it shrinks down, it is now of good weight. For backgrounds, I love to use white-on-white or white-on-cream. I find that using a solid sucks the life out and makes things too flat for my taste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    I've found that when I buy thin fabric, such as at a local fabric but not quilting store where they sometimes offer it at $1 a yard--too good to pass up--if I wash it, and it shrinks down, it is now of good weight. For backgrounds, I love to use white-on-white or white-on-cream. I find that using a solid sucks the life out and makes things too flat for my taste.
    I agree, I rarely use a solid of any color in my quilts. Good to know about the fabric shrinking down and making it a good weight. Now I think of all those priced great white on whites I have passed on . . . .
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Kona cotton is very nice. I use it for background and top.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Power Poster
    i use kona
    QUILTNMO

Power Poster
    I've also had some success with soaking fabrics in hot water and then washing them.

Sometimes the 'shrunken' fabric is really quite satisfactory. And sometimes it's not.

In the long run, it's probably better to get what you want to begin with.

'Musin' can be purchased in all sorts of weights and qualities.

If you buy the RocLon tea-dyed muslin - it says 'preshrunk' on the end of the bolt. Don't believe it. It shrank a LOT for me~

Another vote for tone on tone fabrics here. I usually look for something that 'reads' solid but isn't just to up the interest a little bit. Then, again, if that's not the look you're going for than I'd go with what everyone else says. I don't normally use solids so I'm no help there.

I have used tone-on-tone in the past. But I wanted to try solids because the books and magazines I see have so many pretty quilts done with white or cream background or black background. So I just got a Kona jelly roll in black. I did order and off-white jelly roll from Moda so I am anxious to try them.

I've only bought Kona once, from someone here. It was black and it was really, really nice. I'd imagine for background quilting, it would be perfect. The weight was super nice.

I use sheets!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Tone on tone or marbles is my vote..

I think some traditional quilts need a white background but other than that I don't use any solid colors in my quilts.

I love the tone-on-tones and marbles. I used to use a lot of "flat" solids, but I like the movement of the "mostly solids." Kona is a nice solid and I have used it for black alot.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Kona cotton is fantastic. I buy mine at Hobby Lobby or Joann's.

Blog Entries
    I agree Kona cotton is the best for solids but I also like to use a white on white or cream on cream prints for my background. The print helps make the fabric more opaque.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I find Kona cotton too heavy and prefer Moda's.

Moda makes a great muslin, both in bleached and unbleached, no little black slubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Moda Bella solids!
    Agree Scissor Queen, once you use Bella Moda the rest look chintzy. I also use a lot of tone on tones and I have not run into thin stuff from the LQS.
    Judi in Ohio

I agree that some of the white or cream colored tone on tones are very thin and cheap feeling. I sometimes use different tone on tones in one quilt and while I am trying to concentrate on style and design, I have to be really careful I don't accidentally buy these cheaper style fabrics even at a higher end quilt fabric stores. Why so they always seem to be more common in the lighter colors? Since I like to use prints for my background Kona cottons don't work.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    glad I am not only one that thinks solids are "flat" and dull a top in nothing flat!

WHEN I do want a solid, I prefer Kona cottons, they do have more "life" to them! and play nice with Batiks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast