Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
White thread on a black backing? >

White thread on a black backing?

White thread on a black backing?

Old 04-01-2024, 01:58 PM

Default White thread on a black backing?

I am doing a black and white quilt and want to do white thread on the front. I know that I'm never going to be able to keep my tension perfect enough that the black bobbin thread doesn't pop up on the front so I'm thinking of just using white on the back as well...The backing is black. Has anyone ever done this? Did it look OK?

Watson
Old 04-01-2024, 02:01 PM

I have a friend who does my long arm work and love it when the thread on the back shows the quilt pattern. Makes it more interesting IMO.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:27 PM

More often than not, my backings don't match the color of the thread I'm going to use for quilting, and most often I use the same color top and bottom. I also really like being able to see the stitching pattern on the back. I'm using robotics so the stitching is very uniform. I might feel differently if I was doing FMQ and I was worried about hiding my amateur level FMQ skills, but that is for me, if my skill level was higher I'd be fine doing it.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:14 PM

Without seeing the fabrics, I would be thinking of maybe trying a grey for the bobbin and maybe for the top too if the thread was thin enough. I usually use Superior's So Fine 50 weight poly, which mostly blends in pretty well. Most of the time I really don't care for the look of a light thread on a solid black color. Another combination I have seen people use is Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin with So Fine in the needle. Bottom Line is a 60 weight poly thread that really mostly blends in so what you see is the texture of the quilting not the thread color. Using a color other then either black or white just sort of is a compromise and gives a softer look to the quilting in my opinion. It really depends on your taste.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:32 PM

I’ve done bright colors in straight lines on a dark navy Moda marble, and it looked cool.

OTOH, my skill at starting and stopping nearly always results in a glob of thread, so I had to knot and bury all the thread ends. Not only that, the changing thread colors had to line up perfectly. But it was well worth it.

Can’t imagine that technical challenges are a problem for you, though.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-01-2024, 05:33 PM

I like my backs to contrast my fronts, so the quilting is always pretty visible. I enjoy the effect.

Another option is black and white variegated thread. It all but disappears on b&w prints
Old 04-02-2024, 05:38 AM

I used to always use just white or creme on my quilts until I took a chance and used red on both front and back. The back was black so the red thread really showed up and I was so very happy with the results. The front was Bonnie Hunter pattern called Pineapple Blossum in white, red, black and silver grey......the couples' wedding colors. I love the back as much as the front. Since then I am no longer afraid to use a colored thread.
Attached Thumbnails finished-7-8-12.jpg   back-stitching.jpg  
Old 04-02-2024, 05:54 AM

I am so not in your league, Suz. It was a treat to see your quilting.

The red really showed up well. What kind of thread was it?

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-02-2024, 06:26 AM

How about a variegated thread that changes from black to grey to white? Any blips in the quilting won't be as noticeable.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:48 AM

I am doing it right now. Have a black back (with white polka dots). It looks fine. The reality is the back doesn't get looked at that much. I say go for it!