Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Who to contact re out of print magazines for copyright permissions and releases?

Blog Entries

Who to contact re out of print magazines for copyright permissions and releases?

I am trying to locate the current owners of copyright for McCalls Needlework and Crafts April 1985
    this is originally copyright 1985 by ABC Needlework and Crafts Magazines Inc. New York, N.Y.

My LQS is interested in having a class featuring a crib quilt designed by Barbara Clayton that is in this particular magazine. before doing so we need to locate the pattern or back issues or permission to copy the pattern from the issue we have. So, anyone know who to contact? Any help is appreciated.

WilliP

I googled Barbara Clayton, quilter and got info about a book. Try it, maybe that will help.
    jackie

In many cases, the designer only releases their copyright to the magazine temporarily and then it reverts back to the designer. Since the pattern you're asking about is over 25 years old, I'd try checking with Barbara Clayton first and see if she can help you out. She has an Etsy shop so you could easily convo her there. Good luck!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbiesQuiltShop
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Contacted Barbara --- she sold the copyright to the magazine! Back to square 1 --- who do I contact for copyright releases for McCall's Needlework and Crafts? The parent corp was ABC Needlework and Crafts Magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    In many cases, the designer only releases their copyright to the magazine temporarily and then it reverts back to the designer. Since the pattern you're asking about is over 25 years old, I'd try checking with Barbara Clayton first and see if she can help you out. She has an Etsy shop so you could easily convo her there. Good luck!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbiesQuiltShop

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
    I am trying to locate the current owners of copyright for McCalls Needlework and Crafts April 1985
    this is originally copyright 1985 by ABC Needlework and Crafts Magazines Inc. New York, N.Y.

My LQS is interested in having a class featuring a crib quilt designed by Barbara Clayton that is in this particular magazine. before doing so we need to locate the pattern or back issues or permission to copy the pattern from the issue we have. So, anyone know who to contact? Any help is appreciated.

WilliP
    I'd search ebay and Amazon for back issues and start with the publisher's info inside the magazine to hunt down the copyright owner.

Banned
    i would start with McCalls quilting magazine. The current owner probably bought the rights to previous issues.
    I believe it is now Creative Products Group or something like that.

Teresa

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Blog Entries
    I tried for 8 months to contact a quilt designer about using one of her out of print patterns for a class. Her email was listed on her web site. I never got a reply. I sent the last email saying I was using the pattern to teach the class since apparently she had on objection. Six weeks after the class I got an email from her thanking me for my order and please order again. ? Never heard another thing from her. Shouldn't the copyright holder at least be accessible if they want to be recognized or paid for their work?
    Got fabric?

The trademark holder (for the magazine name) was ABC Leisure Magazines, Inc. It expired in 2000. The correspondent (read attorney) for the trademark is given on this site. It's a long shot, but at least it's a shot.
    http://www.trademarkia.com/needlewor...-73025223.html

Banned
    Are you sure that is McCalls Needlework and Crafts.
    I still believe you should contact McCalls Quilting (they are out in Golden Colorado and also publish Quilters Newsletter)
    At least the name is similar. they should be able to either say they own the magazine or not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I have located info on the parent corporation for ABC Needleworks and Crafts Magazines Inc. which is ABC Publishing and there is an address in Golden Colorado as well as a phone number. I will be calling that number to get a name and extension number for my LQS to contact them regarding the pattern in that issue. As far as I can determine, ABC Publishing would be the copyright owner unless they sold it to someone else. I may also try through McCalls Quilting if I can find a contact person. The quilt in the magazine is for a crib size and my LQS owner originally enlarged it from the crib size to a full size quilt. It is the applique patterns for the cats that have caught my attention. Barbara Clayton designed a fun quilt.

I applaud both you and your LQS for your integrity regarding copyrights.