Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who to contact re out of print magazines for copyright permissions and releases? >

Who to contact re out of print magazines for copyright permissions and releases?

Who to contact re out of print magazines for copyright permissions and releases?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Default Who to contact re out of print magazines for copyright permissions and releases?

I am trying to locate the current owners of copyright for McCalls Needlework and Crafts April 1985
this is originally copyright 1985 by ABC Needlework and Crafts Magazines Inc. New York, N.Y.

My LQS is interested in having a class featuring a crib quilt designed by Barbara Clayton that is in this particular magazine. before doing so we need to locate the pattern or back issues or permission to copy the pattern from the issue we have. So, anyone know who to contact? Any help is appreciated.

WilliP
Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 PM

I googled Barbara Clayton, quilter and got info about a book. Try it, maybe that will help.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM

In many cases, the designer only releases their copyright to the magazine temporarily and then it reverts back to the designer. Since the pattern you're asking about is over 25 years old, I'd try checking with Barbara Clayton first and see if she can help you out. She has an Etsy shop so you could easily convo her there. Good luck!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbiesQuiltShop
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Contacted Barbara --- she sold the copyright to the magazine! Back to square 1 --- who do I contact for copyright releases for McCall's Needlework and Crafts? The parent corp was ABC Needlework and Crafts Magazines.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
In many cases, the designer only releases their copyright to the magazine temporarily and then it reverts back to the designer. Since the pattern you're asking about is over 25 years old, I'd try checking with Barbara Clayton first and see if she can help you out. She has an Etsy shop so you could easily convo her there. Good luck!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbiesQuiltShop
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
I am trying to locate the current owners of copyright for McCalls Needlework and Crafts April 1985
this is originally copyright 1985 by ABC Needlework and Crafts Magazines Inc. New York, N.Y.

My LQS is interested in having a class featuring a crib quilt designed by Barbara Clayton that is in this particular magazine. before doing so we need to locate the pattern or back issues or permission to copy the pattern from the issue we have. So, anyone know who to contact? Any help is appreciated.

WilliP
I'd search ebay and Amazon for back issues and start with the publisher's info inside the magazine to hunt down the copyright owner.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Banned

i would start with McCalls quilting magazine. The current owner probably bought the rights to previous issues.
I believe it is now Creative Products Group or something like that.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 PM

http://booksforcomfort.com/index.php...ducts_id=16392
http://www.ecrater.com/p/13108444/mc...-april-1985-45
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

I tried for 8 months to contact a quilt designer about using one of her out of print patterns for a class. Her email was listed on her web site. I never got a reply. I sent the last email saying I was using the pattern to teach the class since apparently she had on objection. Six weeks after the class I got an email from her thanking me for my order and please order again. ? Never heard another thing from her. Shouldn't the copyright holder at least be accessible if they want to be recognized or paid for their work?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM

The trademark holder (for the magazine name) was ABC Leisure Magazines, Inc. It expired in 2000. The correspondent (read attorney) for the trademark is given on this site. It's a long shot, but at least it's a shot.
http://www.trademarkia.com/needlewor...-73025223.html
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

Are you sure that is McCalls Needlework and Crafts.
I still believe you should contact McCalls Quilting (they are out in Golden Colorado and also publish Quilters Newsletter)
At least the name is similar. they should be able to either say they own the magazine or not.