Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do I think I am Santa Clause

Blog Entries
    Whatever you choose, the kids will love them made with bright colorful fabrics!!! Good luck on your project. God Bless.

I made one of these 10 minute blocks last night just to see how it turns out...I am happy with it, easy to do, and very quick.

Blog Entries
    I do quilts for charity and we make the front 60 x 80 and cut out 10 1/2 squares. I make the back and middle using sheets and then we tie each square. I go to the goodwill/charity shops for fabric. I got 2 large bags of fabric for 4 dollars. I also ask friends I know if they have any square fabric. Hobby Lobby has some fabric for $2.00 a yard at times. The quilts really come out beautiful.The quilts keep them warm.

Large 4 or 9 patch go together nicely, look nice and can be chain pieced. I too want to honor you on for your generous heart Bless you.

R

Blog Entries
    Whatever you do will be wonderful for those children. God bless you and your daughter both.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful idea. Have you made the "no-sew" fleece blankets? They are, what I call, "Comfort blankets!" You square up two pieces of contrasting fleece (one solid and one print), make yourself a template out of a file folder so that you can cut up to 4 1/2 inch x 3/4 inch strips on each edge and cutting out a 4 1/2 inch square at the corners. Then tie the upper and bottom layer strips together using an overhand knot. This makes a cute fringe and Viola no sewing. You can do two in a day or more. They take me about 2 hours to trim up, cut slits and tie.

you can do ragged-edge quilts. Those go together very quick and the quilting is done as you go. So your daughter doesn't sew...I bet she can learn to use a rotary cutter. :-D I bet she knows how to operate an iron. It's amazing how quickly piecing can be done if someone else is pressing for you. Bless you for taking on this project.

what about making quillows they are just two pieces fabric 2yrd front and 2 yrd back put binding in and flip and you can make a pillow for the to go along and quilt will fit in it hope this is a good suggestion
    mary

I do quite a few charity quilts. If you had preprinted panels of Batman or Spiderman for boys ages 5-10, they'd LOVE em if you made them big enough for a quilt.

But whatever you do, be aware that a 15 year old is going to appreciate your work a lot more than a 3 year old. I'd make them accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by benson1
    what about making quillows they are just two pieces fabric 2yrd front and 2 yrd back put binding in and flip and you can make a pillow for the to go along and quilt will fit in it hope this is a good suggestion
    mary
    Good idea! portable too!

Thank you all so much, with all this help I think I can truly make this happen. I also have a quillow pattern. Love to you all and happy thanksgiving

ThAnk you all so much,it makes me feel like I can make this happen. I have a quillow patter. Have a great thanksgiving, I have many more things to be thankful for. One of the member here has offered 4 quilts to help me. Doesn't that make you cry? There are really Angels here on earth.

Looks like the messages I thought I lost are coming up. Not as easy on a Blackberry.

Blog Entries
    Here is the pattern I use for a super fast nice looking quilt.

I make it as big or small as I need it to be.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns_d...er/patt230.pdf

I use this pattern for backing for most of my quilts too.

Look at page 3 for more pictures of the quilts.

Bless you and your daughter for helping kids in need.

Someone posted the Quilter's Cache site for kids quilts and
    it gave me an idea for 2 baby girl quilts I need to make. So
    to that person thank you.

Kaye Wood has a "six hour quilt" pattern which is strips and it's cute if done in the right "kid" fabrics. Love it and it's done on the serger (can be done on regular machine) with very little quilting necessary.

Use panels to suit the kids. Bless you for doing this, I know the kids will be so happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    My daughter is a social worker and has 15 foster care children she supervises. I told her I will try to make each one a quilt for christmas. There are 7 boys and 8 girls ages 3-15. If any of you know of any quick big block patterns that will help me accomplish this I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks
    Jan
    You can over-enlarge one block so it is all you need for a quilt! They look great and can be done in a short amount of time. Bless you for what you are doing!

e-PatternsCentral.com Lots of quilt patterns for a few dollars each. I could never tackle that now

I have a simple pattern for a fleece blanket with fringe--no sewing required. You could make several of them in a day. However, you're getting a lot of ideas. I would need to scan in my pattern, but I'd be happy to do it if you're interested. Just PM me.

The Downy Quilts for Kids website also has some easy patterns that go together quickly.

I would need a lot of notice for that many quilts!

Kay woods showed on for Project Linus a few years ago.Lay your backing down, face down and put your batting on it then add the top layer, face up. You can use large blocks or just appropriate fabric in one piece(whole cloth) Then you sew from edge to edge in a row about four to six inched wide then another and another. Is this as clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    What about the 10 min. block. You can make the quilts to fit the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
    In a similar vein - I like the super fast method for making Flying Geese blocks with only one seam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    What about the 10 min. block. You can make the quilts to fit the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
    In a similar vein - I like the super fast method for making Flying Geese blocks with only one seam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y
    This is a fantastic video! Thanks for sharing!

Disappearing 9 patch. You can make the same blocks using different fabric; just 2 fabrics or 3 fabrics (makes the pattern look different each; and there are 5 different layouts. Simple block using strip method; fast and great end result. I have pictures of 5 different layouts I can send on PM to you if you email me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast