Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us! >

Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us!

Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 AM

I've done several and while I was doing them, thought they weren't going very well, but after it was all done and washed, I couldn't even find the mistakes that bothered me most when I was doing it. Hang in there, you'll get it.

I really like the Quilt Halo, if you're doing smaller designs.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I've been trying this for over a year and it still looks like $%$#. I practice on a 15 x 15 square and it looks fine. When I try it on a large piece, I can't get the stitches even. Is it because there's too much weight? I try to roll it evenly and support it so it's not pullling or tugging but the stitches are too small.
I know there are tons of videos and tutorials and we've talked about this before but PLEASE keep asking and answering about FMQ for us "challenged" individuals. Someday something just might click!!
Thanks everyone.
If your stitches are too small it's because you're not moving the fabric fast enough. You can do one of two things; slow down your needle speed so your hands are better matched to it's speed, or keep your needle speed the same and move your hands faster.

I'm not sure how you're doing it now but when I was using my Brother it had three max speed settings (thankfully my Bernina has a much wider range now). I would set it on the middle one so when I pressed my foot pedal, the max speed was set. This way it was basically an on/off deal. I didn't have to try and keep my foot pedal pressure even and worry about that. I could focus all my attention on what my hands were doing. You may already be doing this though.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I always do FMQ and I have read all kinds of things about it. Practice,practice is about all I can say and relax. You have to get your speed moving the quilt in tune with how fast to make the machine go. Drop feed dogs. All this has been said thousands of times.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by sandiannie
Originally Posted by Minda
My computer says it can't find [email protected]
if you remove the leah@ you get a website of personal hygiene products, but scroll down and on the left side there is a link to Day style designs
sorry you got the wrong info.
Try this one- http://www.daystyledesigns.com
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by Rachel
I've done several and while I was doing them, thought they weren't going very well, but after it was all done and washed, I couldn't even find the mistakes that bothered me most when I was doing it. Hang in there, you'll get it.
What she said . . . Mine always looks better when done than I think it's going to while working on it.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 AM

When I got my new machine and started trying out the FMQ on it and found it was sooooo much easier than with the old machine. I set my speed between med - low and just took my time. The stitches really didn't come out bad at all. Are you maybe being a little too critical of yourself? :-)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

It helps a lot to have a large, flat, slippery surface to the left of your machine. Here is a Youtube video on how to make this kind of surface inexpensively:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...u0c&playnext=1

I have found that I can FMQ much longer standing up, without any shoulder pain or back pain.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
My tip is: Don't drink coffee before you free motion quilt! Lordy, I had my foot petal to the metal and my machine was ready to fall off the table it was going so fast!!! I couldn't stop!
What a visual!!!! I laughed my head off! Thanks, katesewnsew!!! You made my evening! :lol:
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Breathe, pause, and slow down. It's okay to stop. It's okay to not go 100 mph. Difficult for me to remember sometimes :D
Old 04-01-2010, 05:22 AM

I have done some on small pieces and then join them with a quilt as you go (qayg) technique. A friend gave me some rubber fingertips with little nubs on the one side. When I wear these, I have good control. I also set my speed at medium and find I am more consistent. For a recent wool applique design of a rooster, I lightly drew in a sunrise behind the rooster with rays coming above it. Then I just sewed on the lines resewing to go to the next area. Even added a post with grain lines for the rooster to perch on. For the grain lines, I did lock stitches at the top and bottom, jumped to the next line etc. Clipped the thread connecting them. Very pleased with the result and it is not just the stippling I usually do. On my avatar, I did the center medallion and the four corner triangles with small stippling.